Sears with a 2.5

I picked this up a few days ago. The previous owner kept telling me, "It's a Bird." It plainly had a Sears label on the tank. I would appreciate any info on it such as the model name or year model.

Thanks, Richard

SEARS MINI BIKE - 2.5 TECUMSEH - DEC. 22, 2014 007.JPG SEARS MINI BIKE - 2.5 TECUMSEH - DEC. 22, 2014 001.JPG SEARS MINI BIKE - 2.5 TECUMSEH - DEC. 22, 2014 015.JPG SEARS MINI BIKE - 2.5 TECUMSEH - DEC. 22, 2014 010.JPG

markus

Sears sold that as a "runabout" and it looks very close to original still which is a neat find in itself :thumbsup:

View attachment 67077

they were a bird manufactured bike, and they were sold as Wrens mainly through them.

Last edited:
A fairly early model Bird built bike, I have only seen those axle tabs a couple of times on that frame. Mine was a later model, it and every other Wren/Runabout I have seen had an offset rear wheel. I thought they would ride funny with the offset wheel but I never had a problem, but I never had more than a 3.5hp engine in one.

That's a very nice early model and I bet that Tecumseh is a steel sleeved engine too. Post up the numbers on the engine tag and we can tell you the year of your engine, that engine may or may not be original to your bike.

markus

This one belongs in the original survivor thread...cool bike: thumbsup:
I agree :thumbsup: I was gonna say that looks like the throttle got replaced but if you really look at the catalog photo its almost looks like its got the mis-matched grips on it too :shrug: It is kinda odd that the shroud is tagged as a tec, but that bike is probably pretty early into sears selling minibikes.

markus

1966, very cool :thumbsup: I will go out on a limb and say thats probably about the time sears jumped into the mini bike game from the catalog postings I have seen. is the throttle and grip Doherty?