Seat suspension on a coleman 200u?

Wizy

Hey everyone, Im new to the forums, but I just recently purchased a coleman 200u. Its a relatively very nice bike, clean look and nice ride. I even swapped around the clutch and removed that annoying gearing, that way I went from 18.5 mph to 41 mph.
Now, my only problem is the hard hit whenever I take it trail riding. I had the ideas to buy a new fork from the moose mini bike with suspension on it, but I had a better idea, Put suspension in the seat so it absorbs atleast some of the hit whenever im riding.

Now here is my idea, with the seat that is currently on the bike, there is 1 bolt in the front side in the middle holding the front of the seat down, and 2 in the back on the ends of the metal.

Would it work if I were to get some small spring coils, and put two of them on the front, on either side of the middle bolt, and one on the back side in between where the two bolts are. Once I get those and mount them onto the seat properly, and then get some longer bolts and replace the old ones with the longer ones, that way, the seat is still held onto the bike, and whenever I hit a bump, the coils go down, resulting in the bolts going down, and once the coils go back up, the bolts catch the metal and stop going up, making it a semi better way of riding, so my butt does not hurt by the end of the ride.

It seems like a pretty good idea, but here is my question, would this work? I need to know before I go ahead and spend the money and the time to do this.

yup put one in front and two in back with the springs around the bolts. youll probrobly still want front suspention but it will take some of the the shock off your back. valve springs from a car engine work nice for that sort of thing

Wizy

Damn jdogg, that is a very sick bike, what kind of dirt bike are those handle bars from? But that is a nice seat suspension. How would I go about doing that?

Last edited:
Damn jodgg, that is a very sick bike, what kind of dirt bike are those handle bars from? But that is a nice seat suspension. How would I go about doing that?
Thanks Wizy! They are from ebay just typical cheap M/X bars!

The rear I made a separate seat bar

and added a shock off ebay...cant remember the lbs. on the shock, but placement is crucial for it to work correctly! Leverage plays a huge part in this! Too far forward and its too soft and too far back and its too hard!!

Wow, you did a hella of a job with that. But for the bars would these work? Yamaha PW80 Front End Forks Suspension PW 80 | eBay
When you said bars Wizy I thought you meant handlebars not the forks. Yes I used PW 80 forks but not the triple trees for those I made my own. I dont think those trees will mate up to the coleman/db30 frame without serious modification! If you want just the forks and make your own trees I have used this seller on ebay

PW80 Front Forks TTR 80cc Stock New PW | eBay

$36.00 shipped! Brand new!

Pretty Dang Cool! I like the the DB frame with "mono-shock" motorcycle tech without the swing arm suspension!
Thanks Kawazukimaha!! But the extra height throws off your center of gravity and makes the controls feel sketchy.....so trading some gains for some losses :shrug:

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread and add a bit. I got my CT200 3 days ago. It was beating my 59 year old body pretty good on the off road areas behind my house. I went to NAPA and got 3 vs-1632 valve springs and Ace Hardware and got 3 M6x1.0x60 metric bolts. I put the springs between the frame and seat bottom with a fender washer between the spring and bottom of the seat. Makes a Big difference. My 180 lbs. compresses the springs about 1/2" when sitting at idle and the springs definitely make the ride smoother. Not sure how well the plastic seat bottom is going to hold up with the nuts embedded in it and it taking a bit of a pounding from the springs. If the bottom cracks or gives it up I'll make a new one out of plywood and try and use the original seat cover and foam on it.

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread and add a bit. I got my CT200 3 days ago. It was beating my 59 year old body pretty good on the off road areas behind my house. I went to NAPA and got 3 vs-1632 valve springs and Ace Hardware and got 3 M6x1.0x60 metric bolts. I put the springs between the frame and seat bottom with a fender washer between the spring and bottom of the seat. Makes a Big difference. My 180 lbs. compresses the springs about 1/2" when sitting at idle and the springs definitely make the ride smoother. Not sure how well the plastic seat bottom is going to hold up with the nuts embedded in it and it taking a bit of a pounding from the springs. If the bottom cracks or gives it up I'll make a new one out of plywood and try and use the original seat cover and foam on it.
Great idea.

You can use bobber seat springs..they use bolts..2" or 3" in black or chrome ebay $12 or so a pair..i have used them..and am going to use them on my ct200u maybe three 2" black ones one up front two on back using a 3/8" plywood for a seat pan.you may need metal plate mounted to frame seat mounts...i used them on my mm mmb80 project ...had to use metal pan ..home depot sells 16 guage steel plate 16" x 6" $8 ..minimal cut off ..perfect fit. with extra metal strap in middle to hold weight because the seat is not flat so plywood not an option on it.i took seat upholstery loose enough to put bolt thru plastic seat pan to hold metal and restapled..this was pick showing 3" ones i took off.i liked the 2" ones better..maybe..cheers IMG_20161226_001616.jpg

Last edited:
You can use bobber seat springs..they use bolts..2" or 3" in black or chrome ebay $12 or so a pair..i have used them..and am going to use them on my ct200u maybe three 2" black ones one up front two on back using a 3/8" plywood for a seat pan.you may need metal plate mounted to frame seat mounts...i used them on my mm mmb80 project ...had to use metal pan ..home depot sells 16 guage steel plate 16" x 6" $8 ..minimal cut off ..perfect fit. with extra metal strap in middle to hold weight because the seat is not flat so plywood not an option on it.i took seat upholstery loose enough to put bolt thru plastic seat pan to hold metal and restapled..this was pick showing 3" ones i took off.i liked the 2" ones better..maybe..cheers View attachment 92383
Way cool!

Hey Hayatacker, really like the bobber springs. My valve springs are already giving it up, one is sagging making the seat tilt to one side. I looked at the springs on ebay and there are many to choose from. None seem to give a lbs of compression or any way to measure their strength. How would you pick a correct spring for 180 lbs?