Seat suspension

I'm looking for a seat suspension bracket....or just a general idea of how to make a bracket to fit on a bird wren bike...ether with a pivoting seat or not...

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

The easiest way would be to set it up like the cats or the arcos. Scoot the seat back or make it longer and mount it to the rear of the frame using long shocks. It would also make it a little longer which might help make the wren more comfortable.

I dont believe the Wren had seat suspension , but can easily be done . Search photos of The Golden Pinto or Duck as the are similar and easy to make . The wren has the shock hole on the tabs where the axle goes thru , You only need a piece of 1-1/4" X 10" piece of flat bar 3/16" thick is good , you'll need exact measurements but approx , you bend 2" 90 degree on each end and drill 3/8 hole for shock bolts and 1/4 holes for the seat mount holes .
The front mount that attaches to the seat is the same just smaller but you'll have to weld a bracket , post and axle tube onto the frame for the front mount , I had to make all new ones for my Birds , it's not difficult !

The shocks on the Wren would attach as they do on this Duck
, the pic with the post welded on for the front mount was left long and then cut to size after I had the seat and shocks to make an exact fit , I cut an old 5/8 axle to make the post:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

I dont believe the Wren had seat suspension , but can easily be done . Search photos of The Golden Pinto or Duck as the are similar and easy to make . The wren has the shock hole on the tabs where the axle goes thru , You only need a piece of 1-1/4" X 10" piece of flat bar 3/16" thick is good , you'll need exact measurements but approx , you bend 2" 90 degree on each end and drill 3/8 hole for shock bolts and 1/4 holes for the seat mount holes .
The front mount that attaches to the seat is the same just smaller but you'll have to weld a bracket , post and axle tube onto the frame for the front mount , I had to make all new ones for my Birds , it's not difficult !
Man, I love that bike

Yeah thats nice, my wren is orange an i would predict it would come out looking kind of the same..

An those are good directions, but where the seat meets the frame The pivot point how does it pivot? Or did you weld a tube that would fix a bolt threw it to secure the seat..?

Also what size shocks did you use?? Length wise an yes i figured those holes down.by the rear wheel axle were ment for shocks, but i wasnt sure because whwn.i bought the bike no shocks and the brackets for the seat are just regualr ones

markus

thats gonna be one long seat and look really odd to clear the back of a wren :shrug:

Unless your talking the very early wren, in that case I would think a suspension seat would make it harder to ride given its small size.......and well stupid to ruin that rare frame as someone would probably trade you a suspended bike for it!!!!

Also what size shocks did you use?? Length wise an yes i figured those holes down.by the rear wheel axle were ment for shocks, but i wasnt sure because whwn.i bought the bike no shocks and the brackets for the seat are just regualr ones
COILOVER SHOCK ABSORBER ASSEMBLY
basic ideas..if you have a trailer /Rv center nearby they might have them as well.
many thanks to Chipper,for the how-to pics.

Your bike is probably a Sprite , Falcon or Big Blue , I used the 12" from Bomb on both birds but on the Duck it has the sloped frame ,the Pinto shock mounts on the frame are welded on higher up ? You may need longer shocks or weld some tabs on like the Pinto ? Yes I welded a tube on top of the post , as they came from the factory that way , match a bolt diameter to I.D. of tube and you're good to go ! 5/8 is factory axle for wheels and seat !

Fo sure, yeah I think I'm gunna go with the tabs welded up a bit higher...I checked out the holes down by the axles and for some reason the holes are 2different sizes...idk..but sweet an good advice/ directions....ill be sure to follow them :bowdown::thumbsup:

Sounds great I was gunna ask for a few pictures of the seat..where it pivots , I've got another seat that has suspension on my powerdyne so I figured I would just take it off and make a clone of it..as far as shocks go... You used 12" shocks? But how long did you make your seat? I dig how yours looks straight up and down ( the shocks ) that is...:clap:

Oh by the way I'm bout 100% sure it's a Bird Sprite :thumbsup:

Kenny , a member here is the seat Guru ! He made both seats and has the exact Bird specs , not cheap but the quality is unsurpassed ! They bolted right on !

Alright 6.5 , hope this helps may be a bit much and not in any order , review and ask any questions you may have !
I shaved the axle mount so that is not original .