Selling mini bikes or parts on craigslist?

Just curious....when you guys post something for sale on Craigslist do you post in your surrounding cities also? I normally post in my city and all the surrounding cities. I have driven to my surrounding cities (1 hour or even 1.5 hour drive sometimes) to pick up items. I drove an hour the other day to pick up a mini bike.
The reason I'm asking is because I posted a mini bike for sale the other day and posted in my surrounding cities also and a person responded asking where I lived at. When I told him he replied with a nasty comment saying why am I posting in his area if I wasn't from there (he put allot of bad language in with the comment). I tried to be polite and explained to him that maybe he wouldn't but other people don't mind driving to surrounding area's for items. (of coarse I had to throw a few hits in there myself, I just couldn't help myself)
That's just how I do it, not sure if that's correct or not but just how I've always done it.

The guy just sent me another Email dropping the F-Bomb in every other word. He said it's just a mini bike, not a bar of gold. That I was the dumb*ss that posted it 100 miles away, post in your own area! and blah blah blah.:cursing::cursing:
He must be the president of that state, or of least that area...:laugh::eek:ut:
I simply told him to get a clue and have a nice day. Some people have more time on their hands then brains! :scooter:

I routinely see vintage/collector car and boat ads here from all over the US. In searches, CL will say "few items found in your local area" and include other places like Phoenix, Los Vegas, and LA. All of those places are over 3 hours away.

fistfullabar

We drove 3 hrs each way to get the mini we wanted and members here drive longer and further then that. Shoot i plan on driving 20 hrs each way to get the bikes i want soon.:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

I've gotten responses like that from people that live an hour away and i don't post anywhere except my area. I just reply "Okay. Have a nice day". It really pisses people off when their insults don't get a rise out of you

We drove 3 hrs each way to get the mini we wanted and members here drive longer and further then that. Shoot i plan on driving 20 hrs each way to get the bikes i want soon.:thumbsup:
20 hours each way....now that's dedication!!! :scooter:

I've gotten responses like that from people that live an hour away and i don't post anywhere except my area. I just reply "Okay. Have a nice day". It really pisses people off when their insults don't get a rise out of you
That's pretty much what I did.... I hope he's ready to explode soon...:laugh:

I posted a mini bike on CL local and a guy called from Detroit asking if I'd ship it to him. So I did.
Tony it's probably some kid. Tell him you work for the FBI and will be tracking his where abouts through his IP address and be notifying his parents. Lol

I've used A.T.F agent before...scares them pretty good lol
My furthest so far has been 6 1/2 hrs. Slept in my car that night because the seller was leaving home at 9am that day! Early bird gets the worm :thumbsup:

Drove from Mass to Nebraska...totally worth it. You can either not respond or explain that they don't grow 40 year old minibikes on trees anymore...

My favorite is when you get the reply, "where is frohna?" I want to send back a smartass reply of "Look two inches to the right, theres a map right there!" But I dont have the nerve to do it. Furthest ive drove is about four hours one way, but it was a side trip on the way to meet family for holiday.

I post wanted ads as far as I'm willing to drive. So why not post for sale that way. Most minibike guys would drive a few hours for something. OMG that reminds me of the time I posted Toyoco parts wanted and some guy in CT answered with more than the parts I needed. He had a full bike and I guess no one was buying it. So I was unbelievably pumped. But get this.. I was going to meet a friend at a swap meet in CT the weekend he contacted me and I figured that would be the perfect time to get the parts. But it was a little far for me to hit that swap meet AND go to his town. So I simply ASKED if he was Ok with perhaps meeting me somewhere. Not demanding. Not playing with him at all. I just asked if he wouldn't mind doing that. Well this guy completely freaked out on me. "I DON'T HAVE TO SELL THIS THING!! I DON'T HAVE TO CHASE A SALE!!!" So I reply back, no problem at all dude. I'll come all the way there. Silence. I leave a vmail. Never calls back. Finally he emails me to basically go eff myself and sarcastically ads "good luck finding your parts". LOL! Typical CL wacko. Hope he's reading this too.

Some scenarios are universal and craigslist buying and selling or retail in general is the perfect example. You've got people with time to burn that will email repeatedly like its their job but will never show àll the way to people that will drive over immediatley and wait for you to get home after work. And everything in between. Its funny how after even selling two or three items that you can recognize people from the way they write and kick the tires on everything you post. Usually kids like someone earlier said. Just saw.a custom.db 30 listed in AZ for 2995.00 I have to wonder how many "wth" emails he got. That's sales though. Never a dull moment. People do get hot when you wont save stuff until they get there don't they? That's when I know ive posted something too cheap. Lol

People do get hot when you wont save stuff until they get there don't they? That's when I know ive posted something too cheap. Lol
No, it's driving three plus hours each way with no guarantee it will be there when I arrive. If a seller wont guarantee a time-block for me, he doesn't get the sale from me.

Last year, I wanted to go to Texas and look at a hot rod for sale. This involved a three hour drive to Las Vegas, a flight to Texas, then a rental car and another hour drive, just to LOOK at the thing. That seller would not hold the car for 48 hours. Things are different out west. Distances are greater between sales.

capguncowboy

No, it's driving three plus hours each way with no guarantee it will be there when I arrive. If a seller wont guarantee a time-block for me, he doesn't get the sale from me.

Last year, I wanted to go to Texas and look at a hot rod for sale. This involved a three hour drive to Las Vegas, a flight to Texas, then a rental car and another hour drive, just to LOOK at the thing. That seller would not hold the car for 48 hours. Things are different out west. Distances are greater between sales.
I've ran into this as well. There isn't much in the way of bikes popping up out here, so I end up driving 2-3 hours for most of the stuff I get. MOST of the time, people will schedule a time I can come look, and sometimes they don't. If the price is right, I guarantee them I'll pay the full asking price, and most of the time that helps. If it's something I really want, I offer to send the payment via Paypal right then and there, although I haven't had anyone actually take me up on that offer yet.

All true. Guess I should have elaborated. When you sell something for 10 to say 20 bucks its really not life and death for either side hopefully. When its a hot rod or a few hundred well that' totally different. I do the same thing. Sound genuine and give my word to pay and then Get There ASAP.