Sensation frame right-side heavy w/Predator

This has been bugging me since I put the 6.5 Predator on my Sensation MB-6A "Mike-Bike" frame. In order to line up the clutch gear with the sprocket, the engine needs to be pretty far to the right. That's even with the clutch gear inside.

This makes the bike very right side heavy, both standing and riding. The kickstand (which I made from strap steel to look like the original), is on the left side. In order to keep this bike from falling over, we park it with the kickstand facing downhill.

I didn't have the nice new glossy fenders painted a month before the younger boy leaned -a little bit- on the bike while it was on the kickstand, and knocked it over. My fault, not his. Shouldn't be that tippy.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is a jackshaft the best option (and flip the rear sprocket to the right side)? That would require some welding, which I can't do (yet--this stops me from doing a lot of little things like this). And it would make the frame less original. I'm about ready to ditch the Pred and go find a period 3hp Briggs or Tec. But then I'll probably be disappointed in the performance. Maybe 4hp?

Sensation kickstand

Dang it, I was just looking again at the kickstand. I was darned proud of it. Hate to tear it up. Well, I guess I can make another one. Maybe even improve on it a little and still keep it looking more or less proper for the bike. Not that those rear foot pegs are right for the bike, but the old man needs something for his feet when the kids are giving him a ride, doesn't he? :laugh:
View attachment 62516

Thanks Michael.

Not really any "tearing up" to do. Just figure out how much shorter it needs to be (it will not take much- maybe 1/2" - 3/4") and cut it off the bolted end, redrill another bolt hole, and bolt it back on.:laugh:
Sidebar: Nice job on fabricating the kickstand!:thumbsup:
Michael

Thanks, I looked at a some old advertising pictures and tried to figure a way to make it work. No idea if Sensation did theirs this way. I added the spring mounting hole on the frame, so I expect not.

The spring connects to an angle bracket. That bracket mainly serves as a stop for the kickstand in the down position. The bracket is brazed to the back of the strap steel. The current mounting hole is just north of that brazed connection, so no way to shorten this one.

Some day I have to get a welder; I hate brazing. I'm guessing I could take the worst welder in the world and still make a nicer weld than the brazing on the back side of that kickstand :laugh: Eh, maybe I'm just kidding myself. Never welded before.

You maybe could get one of those nice alumin motor pates. I thiink PMR makes them, can't remember. That will let you move the engine. Something doesn't seem right:eek:ut: A Briggs and a Tec engine have the same bolt pattern as the predator. I think you will still be way off. Do you have a few more photos?

CarPlayLB

You maybe could get one of those nice alumin motor pates. I thiink PMR makes them, can't remember. That will let you move the engine. Something doesn't seem right:eek:ut: A Briggs and a Tec engine have the same bolt pattern as the predator. I think you will still be way off. Do you have a few more photos?
Manchester...he does not have a jackshaft, so moving the engine over will mis-align the sprockets. The pred motors are much wider...and although they have the same bolt pattern, everything is indexed off the PTO side, making it wider and to the right!
...ya may want to go back to a Briggs 3HP...or shorten the kickstand! ...or both!

Yep, I have the PMR plate already. The guy before me had put the little bitty 79cc blue greyhound HF engine on the thing and the original mounting holes were messed up. Eventually the holes would need to be welded closed and ground flat/re-formed. So I got the plate to mount the Pred, but then needed to move it far right to line up the sprockets.

As I've commented on here before, I don't think the 6.5 Predator on this bike is a good fit. Maybe it's the frame, maybe it needed to have a jackshaft...and then flip the wheel sprocket to the right side--but even the Sensation's MB-6L, which had a jackshaft, didn't use it to change gearing to the right side.

Not sure, maybe a 3.5 or 4hp older Briggs or Tecumseh is more upright and less heavy on the right side. It's not just an issue on the kickstand, but that's the worst. When standing, you can feel it pulling over to the right.

I would like to change the bike back to original some day. For now, easiest just to make a new kickstand, I guess. Next time I'll use 3/16 strap, too, since the 1/8 bends just a little too easily.

What, the problem at hand or my lack of fabricating skills? :laugh:
Dave, when I started playing with these stupid things, I quickly learned I needed a welder too. I remain a novice welder, but I was able to install a jackshaft kit on a bike. (And it hasn't fallen off yet)

Seems that if you're wanting the performance of the current OHV, you're relegated to going jack shaft, and maybe a clutch brake, or disc on the jack shaft.

Don't get me wrong. I have never put a Predator motor on anything, except grandkids go kart.

To my way of thinking, if I was going to restore it later, I'd do it now and do it right. :shrug:

And now I'm looking for a buzzbox... Already found a beauty here locally, but no way I could move it, store it, or power it (only have 220V/30A).

My bike is the same way with the Predator motor on it but I have a centerhung style kick stand.

Even with the Briggs on there it is still pretty far to the right but the predator is REALLY far to the right.

cxbra

What, the problem at hand or my lack of fabricating skills? :laugh:
The problem at hand.. I would never down someone for their lack of fabricating skills, I still dont know how to weld (something that most of the mini guys know how to do).

The problem at hand.. I would never down someone for their lack of fabricating skills, I still dont know how to weld (something that most of the mini guys know how to do).
When I started this hobby, I'd never owned a welder, and couldn't weld. Now I do own a welder, and still can't weld very good. That's what angle grinders are for. :laugh:

I'm using a 110VAC wire feed with gas from Home Depot. Nothing fancy, and does everything I need it to do. Perfect for mini bikes and karts and even smaller automotive jobs.

cxbra

When I started this hobby, I'd never owned a welder, and couldn't weld. Now I do own a welder, and still can't weld very good. That's what angle grinders are for. :laugh:

I'm using a 110VAC wire feed with gas from Home Depot. Nothing fancy, and does everything I need it to do. Perfect for mini bikes and karts and even smaller automotive jobs.
Good information to know!