Set screws for MaxTorque Clutch?

Home depot is the #1 worst place to buy hardware. Go to a True Value hardware store that stocks 5 and 8 grade hardware. And the fine thread in 1/4 inch is 1/4-28 not 1/4 -24
Steve :scooter:

Home Depot is awesome for finding parts to make potato cannons though. people look at you funny if you start piecing stuff together in the aisle. :laugh:

Home Depot is awesome for finding parts to make potato cannons though. people look at you funny if you start piecing stuff together in the aisle. :laugh:
Potato Cannons? Post some pics...

I've pieced together things in aisles before. Alot of times I will bring whatever the bolt/nut/fitting is going on (gas tanks, heads, shortblocks (yes, the WHOLE block) wheels- to find the right size allen head) People don't seem to understand the concept of buying the right thing once; not buying the wrong thing multiple times and making multiple trips.

the first pic is of one that i made with a 10' barrel and 3' chamber. it sounded like a shotgun when it went off. it eventually got chopped up to make a smaller one. i'm 6'5, so you can see it was a long hahahahaer that took 2 people to load.

the second pic is of the 10' barrel one after we chopped it some to make a smaller one.

the very first one we made had a 12" chamber and 3' barrel. that one would shoot potatoes around 300yds. we chopped the barrel on the 10 footer to use it on a copy of our original.

we started using hair spray but eventually moved on to acetylene because it worked much better (but was much more dangerous).

Last edited:
the first pic is of one that i made with a 10' barrel and 3' chamber. it sounded like a shotgun when it went off. it eventually got chopped up to make a smaller one. i'm 6'5, so you can see it was a long hahahahaer that took 2 people to load.

the second pic is of the 10' barrel one after we chopped it some to make a smaller one.

the very first one we made had a 12" chamber and 3' barrel. that one would shoot potatoes around 300yds. we chopped the barrel on the 10 footer to use it on a copy of our original.

we started using hair spray but eventually moved on to acetylene because it worked much better (but was much more dangerous).
How does it work? Spray hairspray in one end and light a match? I'm totally lost on this one..

If you have a choise about set screw or end bolt always go with end bolt.
I almost shouldn't--drill a little hole in the cannon chamber end right next to the edge, put a few drops of lighter fluid in it--blow a little air in and put a lighter to the hole. If the thing jams and explodes you didn't hear this from me-PS-the tatter may go somewere you didn't plan!!! You didn't hear this from me!:rolleyes:

just unscrew the end cap, spray in some hair spray, cap it and hit the button. we were using a push button bbq starter for an igniter.

the one thing i hate about hair spray is it gums everything up. if you don't clean the threads when you're done that stuff acts like glue on the end cap. that's one reason why we switched to using acetylene most of the time. we used schedule 40 pvc and never had any issues with breakage.

btw, if anyone decides to make one of these check your local laws. they're considered firearms in some places so you could get in trouble. never, never, never, never shoot someone with one. you could do a lot of damage. i shot my friend in the right ass cheek from about 30' and he's very lucky i didn't hit him anywhere else (there was a reason, i wasn't just being an asshole). when it hit him, he dropped and just layed there. he showed me his ass cheek at work the next day and the whole thing was purple. he could barely even sit down.

potato guns are not toys and you can seriously hurt someone or yourself if you aren't careful.

Last edited: