Shed construction advice

Dont let the weather get you down lol we will be up to our arses in snow soon enough lol
It looks like your doing a great job and all of the hard work will be worth it.
As for Uncle Bucks porch idea , give it some though I put one on a Shed/Bunkhouse I built a couple of years back up at the family cottage, and it is my favorite spot for summertime napping lol.

Here's Mine

Ya thats a nice porch Rob but I just want to stick to the plan lol.

All 4 walls up now.

Skies opened up and a little sun came out.
Just enough for me to wigle around under there to adjust my pier blocks and put the two last walls up.
Still need to frame the headers for the load bearing walls.

Sheeting didn't happen, but some help showed up to hold the walls and that made things considerably easier.

Next weekend may be the big push...
My partner from work dropped in today and said he would come next weekend.
And he's going to try and bring in a ringer, a real carpenter for the roof...

SO MUCH RAIN!!!

It looks as if its actualy washing the wood preservative off my floor!!!!

Well things are not quite where I would like them too be...

Fropm the previous picture you see the unclipped ends of the trusses...
My father from Georgia was down.
He started those trusses and my brother finnished them.

We are not carpenters as you can see.
More like wood butchers.

My brother came back again today.
More help with the sheeting.

I still after all these years let my brother talk me into things I am not crazy about doing
Those trusses and the unclipped ends....
The sheeting by his methods....

Well I am not too crazy about it.
Infact I did quite a bit of swearing and head shaking.

The roof is on, but I am not happy with it.
Might even rip it off and start over to be honest.

I am not fast.
I take a long time to fix things up the way I like.
Fewer mistakes that way.....

Now I need to try and figuere out if I will snap a chaulk line acros that and try and cut it up square with a skill saw....
Then try and clear up the mess of butted up and distorted sheets at the peak and scabbed in 2 by 4 at the center to make up the difference it sheets.

Ya its not what I was hoping for.
So what do you do?
Chase away the family that tries to help you along?

TomH

Snap a chalk line on those rafter tails and use a level to make them plumb and cut them. the door header needs a cripple stud or two toe nailed into the header and the top plate if you haven't done that. If you are going to put a ceiling in, lay 2x6's horizontally between your trusses on your top plat so you will have something to nail it to. Or if you are not going to finish out under the eaves, you need to put something between your rafters, they call them pressure blocks or fire blocks. You can either rip them to the right height or you can lay them in there on an angle so they are flush with your rafters.
Looks good to me though.

Last edited:
Too late for a chalk line on those rafters Tom...
I let my brother sheet the roof....

The windos have the headers and studs now.
Sheeting went to hell so I had to scab secodn 2 by 4 to the 5th rafter just inside the 8 foot mark.

I should have stopped him.
But he figueres you can workl around a problem and not stop and correct.
I think I was out of square at the top of the walls.

I tried to getra ratchet strap on there and pull the offending corners in but it was too late.
And my brother had a hammer and pocket full of nails.
He wasn't going to stop.

Just for that I am going to do some wiring in his house and it will require large holes in the dry wall lol.....

TomH

should have hit brother with the hammer then. Don't know how you are going to finish out the ends and get the roof right, guess you could nail boards between the rafter tails, they will be crooked but you have to support your roof decking somehow or not I guess..

Hey NOS dont sweat the small stuff I have worked construction most of my life and you would not belive the poor craftsmanship I see from so called pro's lol
There is no more care given to 3/4 million dollar home than a baby split entry.
Just add blocking where needed and adjust stuff as you go , if you have to bring some thing back in line , do it in small steps over a long stretch your eye wont pick it up.
Rob

wish I was closer to give you a hand

Cool project. I would always rather be in out of the weather while working on things.

Does anyone remember the poor fellow that started a shed build thread on here a few years ago? It was the most comical thing I had seen and I want to find it again...

Hey NOS dont sweat the small stuff I have worked construction most of my life and you would not belive the poor craftsmanship I see from so called pro's lol
There is no more care given to 3/4 million dollar home than a baby split entry.
Just add blocking where needed and adjust stuff as you go , if you have to bring some thing back in line , do it in small steps over a long stretch your eye wont pick it up.
Rob

wish I was closer to give you a hand
Following Rob's advice I tried to pull and jig around my troubles....

Somewhat of an improvement....

But the fact is this is a screw up caused by haste and poor planning.
My greatest tabboo!

Shall in the code book means not optional lol.
Ye shall not cut corners.

So time to back up pull the sheeting off and do this right.
I have a chum with some scaffolding I can build a proper work platform from.
I'll try and borrow this for the weekend and take tyhe sheeting off myself and carefuly fix this mess.
Maybe I can even scare up a little help.

This bothered me all day.

There you go , you will feel much better knowing its done the way you wanted it
I am a project manager/ shop super in a cabinet shop so half of my job is planning and tryin to keep the mistakes from happening. Or figuring out how to fix them when they do lol
Good luck and hoping for sun for you.
Rob

This is turning into a very long thread isn't it?

Flappability
The tendency of a person to foam at the mouth and fret excessively about a problem real or perceived.

In my life I have made many mistakes, and I have cleaned up some for others.
Some have been funny.
Some not so.

So this is the ugly cock up that has my knickers ina knott...
I have too pull closed, and getthose sheets to meet at the top and side like they are suposed too.

If that deck is nailed down your not going to pull that gap, sorry to say.
(2) choices, pull the decking and start over or take the roof as a finished unit and cut it square to the base -try to bury the waste by shrinking your overhang on the eve walls.

You going to run a facia board to cover those open tails?

Yes, I realize that.
I unscrewed and tried as much as I could without having all the sheeting fall off.
But it all needs to come off and everything needs to be done over.

Yes to the facia:
That was the original plan and one of the problems....
My brother did that too me, he the sort of fellow that jumps ahead planning sometimes.

He did not want to be doing the roof or trusses this weekend.
I did not ask him too....

But he got it in his head this was talking too long.
Also in his head were his cross bow and bear hunting he was not doing and would be doing the next weekend come hell or high water.....

been there, hard to turn down free help -even if it ends up costing you in the long run.

hate to say it but you need to step it up ..... didn't winter start for you guys like last week? :laugh:

How far are you from me, I may be able to break away to give you a hand.

been there, hard to turn down free help -even if it ends up costing you in the long run.

hate to say it but you need to step it up ..... didn't winter start for you guys like last week? :laugh:

How far are you from me, I may be able to break away to give you a hand.
About 13 hours east of Thunderbay.
TOO Far lol....
Very kind off though thanks.
Up here in Nothern Ontario winter with snow on the ground that sticks usualy in the first to second week of November.
Right now its still T shirts and I had to mow the lawn this afternoon.
Very nice weather actualy