Shifter Minibike Build

Thanks for the weight figures, very interesting. Wow, 9,500rpm! I have no idea if my Loncin would be safe at that sort of engine speed, or whether it would produce much power at such high revs. Based on what Tony said, I'm OK with just 8.7hp. I bought the Loncin because it was the only 125cc engine available in the U.S. I could find with a manual clutch and electric start. So far, it started right up when I mocked up the bike prior to painting. What sort of bike would you put the Lifan on? What kind of transmission does that Lifan have?
Yeah, I'm sure your bike will have plenty of power! :scared: Plus, you have 4 gears and easy to change final gearing to get the power where you want it.

The Lifan would be for a project I've built in my mind, but not in metal. :wink: It would be based on an American Flyer 215 frame (a slightly modified Bonanza knockoff), with telescopic front and swingarm rear suspension. It would be somewhat similar to a Bonanza that OldMiniBikes member Chipper built (link below). The Lifan has a 4-speed manual. I have too many other things I need to do before starting a project, though, so it will have to wait. I may do something simpler, first, like fitting a Lifan to an existing bike.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/135008-1969-bonanza-bc1300-9.html

Since you're going with a Lotus 25 theme, you know you gotta' have a center-mount stainless twin megaphone exhaust poking out the back, right?

View attachment 97385 :drool:
Yes, I have thought about the exhaust protruding some from the rear end (but not two pipes). Some time ago I posted a picture of the exhaust mocked up and an OldMiniBikes member commented that I might want to shorten it. I hadn't thought about it at all up to that point and realized then that I may want to leave it long.

When I made my little dashboard I planned on using two rivets to fasten some of the inner structure. After that I was happily surprised to notice that on the 25 there are rivets on the dash! It's fun living in fantasy land!

Yes, I have thought about the exhaust protruding some from the rear end (but not two pipes). Some time ago I posted a picture of the exhaust mocked up and an OldMiniBikes member commented that I might want to shorten it. I hadn't thought about it at all up to that point and realized then that I may want to leave it long.

When I made my little dashboard I planned on using two rivets to fasten some of the inner structure. After that I was happily surprised to notice that on the 25 there are rivets on the dash! It's fun living in fantasy land!
What I'm thinking about is running the exhaust through the frame and exiting from the center of the bike, not hanging on the side; kinda' like the picture, below, but two megs, and not protruding that much. It would require a good bit of fabrication.

TacoMinibikeStingerExhaustHeader1.JPG

Is that a minibike on your meatball? :wink:

To be honest (a bad habit of mine), I'm not diggin' the jumbo meatball; it's large to the point of distraction (draws one's attention from the rest of the bike). Since a scaled down Lotus 25 nose styled fairing would be major PITA to make, I would suggest a square/rectangular (depending on fork dimensions) panel/number plate that covers the fork, triple clamp to triple clamp, full width of the fork (wrapping it around the ends of the triple clamps would add a nice touch, but not necessary). Paint this panel green; center a meatball on this panel, sized to leave green all the way around; you could have a short segment of yellow racing stripe above and below the meatball, if desired. Obviously, the fork could simply go naked. Just MY opinion, but it's YOUR bike! If it looks right to you, then it is right. Other than that one quibble, I think it's looking great. That "little" 125 really fills that frame; impressive looking. Keeping with the Lotus theme, are you going to wrap the grips in red leather? It would add a nice detail, IMO.

Simple plate: Personalized Number Plates

Is that a minibike on your meatball? :wink:

To be honest (a bad habit of mine), I'm not diggin' the jumbo meatball; it's large to the point of distraction (draws one's attention from the rest of the bike). Since a scaled down Lotus 25 nose styled fairing would be major PITA to make, I would suggest a square/rectangular (depending on fork dimensions) panel/number plate that covers the fork, triple clamp to triple clamp, full width of the fork (wrapping it around the ends of the triple clamps would add a nice touch, but not necessary). Paint this panel green; center a meatball on this panel, sized to leave green all the way around; you could have a short segment of yellow racing stripe above and below the meatball, if desired. Obviously, the fork could simply go naked. Just MY opinion, but it's YOUR bike! If it looks right to you, then it is right. Other than that one quibble, I think it's looking great. That "little" 125 really fills that frame; impressive looking. Keeping with the Lotus theme, are you going to wrap the grips in red leather? It would add a nice detail, IMO.

Simple plate: Personalized Number Plates
I had thought about the size of the meatball when I took those recent pictures and wondered if I might bring it down in size. The jury is still out on that one, I will see what it looks like when I get the wheel and tire mounted on the forks and the bike on the ground.

Regarding the grips, I have some oxblood red grips that I bought at the very beginning of the project. They don't very well match the red of any vinyl material I could find. The Lotus 25 pictures show a variety of red shades of dash, seat and steering wheel materials. How many are original I don't know. I have many times thought about whether to go with the oxblood red or black grips. I don't really want several shades of red on the bike.

Speaking of a variety of color shades, most pictures of the 25's that have yellow wheels show a more orange yellow than that of the stripe. I found a shade of yellow that has the more orange look, but I prefer to have the wheels and stripe match. I just think it looks better. The picture of a 25 that you posted might be the only 25 I have seen where the yellow of the wheels matches that of the stripe. Perhaps the restorer felt as I do.

I had thought about the size of the meatball when I took those recent pictures and wondered if I might bring it down in size. The jury is still out on that one, I will see what it looks like when I get the wheel and tire mounted on the forks and the bike on the ground.

Regarding the grips, I have some oxblood red grips that I bought at the very beginning of the project. They don't very well match the red of any vinyl material I could find. The Lotus 25 pictures show a variety of red shades of dash, seat and steering wheel materials. How many are original I don't know. I have many times thought about whether to go with the oxblood red or black grips. I don't really want several shades of red on the bike.

Speaking of a variety of color shades, most pictures of the 25's that have yellow wheels show a more orange yellow than that of the stripe. I found a shade of yellow that has the more orange look, but I prefer to have the wheels and stripe match. I just think it looks better. The picture of a 25 that you posted might be the only 25 I have seen where the yellow of the wheels matches that of the stripe. Perhaps the restorer felt as I do.
For some reason, I was thinking you were having the seat done in red leather, so I thought you could have the grips wrapped in the same leather; I've never had leather wrapped grips, but have seen some. I agree, colors need to match.

When I did an image search, I saw several variables on wheels; different yellows, all yellow, yellow center with bare rim, gray center with bare rim. I agree with you on the wheels and stripe matching, just for aesthetic purpose.

What is the wheelbase of that frame?
39-1/2" wheelbase. 14.5" from inside of bottom tube to inside of top tube. Thanks for sending the video link. I had watched that a couple of weeks ago and just watched it again. It is great having so many historic videos on You Tube! By the way, my seat is being upholstered in the same vinyl I used on the dash.

Gary

39-1/2" wheelbase. 14.5" from inside of bottom tube to inside of top tube. Thanks for sending the video link. I had watched that a couple of weeks ago and just watched it again. It is great having so many historic videos on You Tube! By the way, my seat is being upholstered in the same vinyl I used on the dash.

Gary
Thanks; gives me more of an idea as to what a 125 would/wouldn't fit. I didn't realize the dash was vinyl covered; thought it was painted.