Short Shaft Briggs 5 Flathead

I realized that the older Briggs Flat Head 5hp I'm wanting to us has an shorter shaft than most. I was wondering if I need a special clutch set-up to work on this engine? :confused: (can post pic. if needed)

There is some one on here like that now I guess it still works just the clutch teeth have to face away from the engine I'm assuming that you can just replace the shift with all the parts available for the briggs and stratton engines

There is some one on here like that now I guess it still works just the clutch teeth have to face away from the engine I'm assuming that you can just replace the shift with all the parts available for the briggs and stratton engines

If possible I don't want to crack open this case as it's a really low mileage / hour older engine. Thinking if it comes to that or maybe could do it without taking it apart, I might weld on a piece of shaft to lengthen the one I currently have. I'm pretty sure someone in here has an answer. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply!

Maxtorque makes PTO extension, works well, but have to run clutch sprocket outboard. I would change out crank instead, because running clutch outboard on minibike will put engine off center too much. You could run a jackshaft to solve that issue, but easier to change out crank IMO.

A simple way to use the crank with the shorter pto is just to use a spacer. I've used a rod the same diameter as my crank pto with a jetway cut in it, then I drilled a hole through the center and the put a bolt through it to bolt it to the end of the crank. It works but ideally the right crankshaft is your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A simple way to use the crank with the shorter pto is just to use a spacer. I've used a rod the same diameter as my crank pto with a jetway cut in it, then I drilled a hole through the center and the put a bolt through it to bolt it to the end of the crank. It works but ideally the right crankshaft is your best bet.

Great idea, is it possible to post a few pics.?

I no longer have the motor but I'll see if I can take a picture of what I mean this afternoon.

Here's some pictures of what I mean, I didn't have the right diameter keyed shaft but you get the idea. If you go this route make sure you drill the hole as close to center as possible, if you have access to a lathe you can drill it on that would be ideal.

Here's some pictures of what I mean, I didn't have the right diameter keyed shaft but you get the idea. If you go this route make sure you drill the hole as close to center as possible, if you have access to a lathe you can drill it on that would be ideal.

Thanks! I've found a good used long shaft crank and will probably swap them out. I didn't realize when I bought this engine that there were different length shafts. I'll use it on another project and it was only $20.00. :thumbsup:

Just flip your clutch around with the teeth facing in. Also you can use a bolt and washer on the outside for extra security .
Also keep your eye open on ebay for a used crank that is longer ; dont pay too much sooner or later a cheaper one will show up!