Skat Kitty Project

I have had a skat kitty mini bike since I was in junior high after I won it off a kid playing a game of basketball. I had it running all through high school using it as a bike to run around during shop class on, getting parts and such. Now 14 years later I am wanting to give it the restore it deserves, which leads me to my questions for you guys.

Parts
I am missing the twist throttle, chain guard, and decals to make it complete. I would also like to round up a headlight, tail light, wire loom (black and white striped) and side car (or measurements to make one).

Engine
The original 2.5 Tecumseh was frozen when I got it, when I tried to pull it apart the place where you pull the crank out busted off. So I found an identical motor, except it is white not red, to replace it. I need a new carb kit for sure but was hoping there are other things I could do to pep it up with out changing the outer appearance.

Finish
Should I paint it or powder cote?

Thanks for any advice or help locating parts ( original or just ones that look so)

Wow what a bike to have, My Dad has one waiting for restoration. I honestly can't help with your questions but I wanted to Welcome you to the Forum. I'm sure some of the Knowledgeable Skat Kitty guys will chime in. Do you have any photos of yours?
Here's my Dads He needs a few parts as well.......

has a b/s in it i think,love his mini kitty:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
what came out of C10 goes on kitty !!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mini-matic can make you a adapter plusa trailer to haul engine that guy can
make enething !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Okay, first of all I would start by giving the engine a good cleaning, sanding and a couple coats of high temp primer and red paint. Buy some decals off ebay to make the engine look complete. The next thing I would have done is have the frame powder coated, I think you can buy some decals for it as well. You will need to make a new wiring loom, but that should be simple (if you're decent at wiring. Shop around on eBay for lights. A chain guard will be hard to find, keep a close watch on ebay and expect to pay mucho dinero for a skat kitty chain guard. You can also have one fabricated, but that will probably also cost mucho dinero. Twist throttle can be bought off of ebay or about any minini bike website, like manufacturers supply (Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts) Good luck with the side car, you can try to find one, or get dimensions from someone who owns one. Make sure to install a fuel filter on the fuel line from the tank to carb. Hope this helps.

-Colombo Herrari

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the responses. The 1970 SWB Chevy C-10 is my daily driver. I got it when I was 8 years old and finished rebuilding it with my dad when I was 17 and have been driving it for the past 10 years doing upgrades as money allows. It has a built 327 and a 5 speed NV3500 out of a 94 Chevy truck with a Hurst shift kit. Lowered, sway bars front back, disc brakes, power everything(brakes, steering, windows, locks). I will stop now I could go on forever on my beloved truck.

Back to the topic at hand. I am going back to Idaho to my parents farm for the 4th and am going to pick up the original motor and exhaust. Along with any thing I can find to build the side car. If any one has measurements that would be great. I am going to try to fab a chain cover as well so some measurements or even a template of the out line would be awsome. Does anyone on here have a Skat Kitty with a chain guard or side car? I ordered a throttle, kill switch, engine decals, throttle cable from rupp.com.

The white engine I have on it looks just like the red original but it has 3:00 painted on it. I assume that means 3hp but the original is a 2.5. Is there a big difference? Should I try to rebuild the old motor or make the white one look original?

"mini-matic can make you a adapter plusa trailer to haul engine" - What does this mean?

CLH - What kind of Datsun do you have? I am working on a 1982 280zx. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Hi Skat Kitty: Am I seeing things, or is the front fork on your bike pointing backwards? Judging by the factory photos we see, the angle of the fork doesn't look quite right and the tire appears to be too close to the fender.

Hi Skat Kitty: Am I seeing things, or is the front fork on your bike pointing backwards? Judging by the factory photos we see, the angle of the fork doesn't look quite right and the tire appears to be too close to the fender.
You are right. when I fixed her up when I was little I must have put it on backwards:doah:

Well I got my throttle, grips, engine decals, and kill switch in the mail. I plan on getting her up and running to mess around with it for awhile before doing the entire teardown. That way I can have some fun with it while I locate the rest of the parts I need.

Good news, I found a guy that makes repop chain/clutch covers and the plastic box for the side car. He is going to call me when he has some more made. Only bad part is it could be a couple of months before he gets any back from the foundry. If anyone has a lowdown on original parts I would be grateful.

george3, I feel for you, when I was 15 I rolled and totaled a mint 1968 GMC Short box. I still get that sick feeling when I think of what was lost. 1967-1972 chevy and GMC trucks to me are unbeatable.

Good news, I found a guy that makes repop chain/clutch covers and the plastic box for the side car. He is going to call me when he has some more made. Only bad part is it could be a couple of months before he gets any back from the foundry. If anyone has a lowdown on original parts I would be grateful.
Can you share this info. I have a skat kitty too and have been looking for parts. I inherited it about a year ago and have torn it down, but nothing else so far. My tires are in bad shape and I am wondering if I can find replacement hubs and tires.