Smog pump supercharger

If you are not detonating now, why mess with methanol?
After you figure out how to cool the intake charge, your cylinder pressure will increase drastically, producing more torque.
That might require more octane, but it doesn't sound like more octane (meth) would help you now.
Water injection after the pump might cool the intake charge and quiet the exhaust a bit.

Thepaetsguy

If you are not detonating now, why mess with methanol?
After you figure out how to cool the intake charge, your cylinder pressure will increase drastically, producing more torque.
That might require more octane, but it doesn't sound like more octane (meth) would help you now.
Water injection after the pump might cool the intake charge and quiet the exhaust a bit.
OK the intake gets hot hot once the intake pipe Heats up performance plummets.

The boost gauge line melted on a ride today and I reached back and there is a ton and I mean a ton of pressure coming through the line cause I could barley squeeze it shut under throttle.

I am selling my pa panzer and have 90-200 jets i’m going to order a 5gal bucket of methanol and go at it.

I can also order that adjustable coil bracket to back the timing off. But the smog pump supercharger as a whole was a complete success I have been all over the streets with it and it’s never been unreliable since I built it.

Time to really really push it

Thepaetsguy

Do you have any plans to cool the intake line?
I think methanol will eat up your pump, too.
I have a nos set of vanes in the mail as a rebuild kit if it’s ever needed. I hear guys on methanol/alcohol run non finned heads as they have trouble getting the engines warmed up. I was hoping the methanol itself would help cool it some.

I have a ton of racing parts just setting there on the shelf and this engine was a complete test mule. I have a spare rod/piston combo also.

If it scatters it was fun

Augiedoggie

Did I already mention the word "intercooler"?
Even a piece of copper tubing through an ice bucket...
Small bit of ductwork riveted to blower housing could help. Can't hurt I reckon. Methanol motors don't need as much cooling. Some previous mention of methanol dilution in motor oil. Inexpensive diesel motor oil is the treat for that. Rotella and other diesel oils are well suited for methanol motor and have tremendous film strength and super high detergency to contain the methanol and moisture created. Added benefit is cost. Stuff is fairly cheap and you won't feel bad changing it more frequently

Small bit of ductwork riveted to blower housing could help. Can't hurt I reckon. Methanol motors don't need as much cooling. Some previous mention of methanol dilution in motor oil. Inexpensive diesel motor oil is the treat for that. Rotella and other diesel oils are well suited for methanol motor and have tremendous film strength and super high detergency to contain the methanol and moisture created. Added benefit is cost. Stuff is fairly cheap and you won't feel bad changing it more frequently
Prob really thick though? I run methanol in a Blockzilla and use Lucas Jr Dragster oil and that stuff is pretty thin

Augiedoggie

You guys are talking about the oil and cooling the engine. I'm talking about cooling the compressed air between the blower and the block.
Intercooler is commonly used for clean air cooling in blow through system. Not sure you could run A/F mixture through heat exchanger. My thought was to open blower shroud to direct cooling to intake pipe.

I think a big intercooler would result in huge throttle lag.
Your idea might cool it enough to allow longer cruises.
Water/alcohol injection directly into that hot intake pipe would cool it and make more power.
Damn it, I've been watching this project and TRYING not to start another project of my own!

Thepaetsguy

An intercooler wont fit as it is so that‘s out. Once the intake heats up performance is gone.

If a straight tank of methanol won’t help keep stuff cool I’m gonna have to shelve it. Amazingly reliable and tons of power just it‘s over when that intake pipe heats up. 03F87B12-1B21-48BD-B440-7966349FDDBF.jpeg 39D71248-75A1-4F33-BE27-0C97F3529173.jpeg 730A2B6F-23D5-4679-AA0E-0BF7584A6621.jpeg

Triley41395

An intercooler wont fit as it is so that‘s out. Once the intake heats up performance is gone.

If a straight tank of methanol won’t help keep stuff cool I’m gonna have to shelve it. Amazingly reliable and tons of power just it‘s over when that intake pipe heats up.
Okay so I know basically nothing about what you're doing but could you weld cooling fins to the intake. Kind of like the ones on the block and head to help with cooling. Just a thought.

Thepaetsguy

Okay so I know basically nothing about what you're doing but could you weld cooling fins to the intake. Kind of like the ones on the block and head to help with cooling. Just a thought.
Cooling fins directly to the tube probably not. I have been thinking about PC heat sinks but also no go.. I‘m kicking around the idea to modify a paintball gun as a sprayer cause I seem to remember the tanks being frozen a lot. Big intake sprayer

The flexible copper or aluminum tube from my air compressor to the air tank has some kind of corrugated heat fins on it.
Maybe look at some old air compressors in the scrap yard?
Spraying CO2 or Nitrogen at the tube would cool it, but those tanks are heavy and expensive.

Triley41395

Cooling fins directly to the tube probably not. I have been thinking about PC heat sinks but also no go.. I‘m kicking around the idea to modify a paintball gun as a sprayer cause I seem to remember the tanks being frozen a lot. Big intake sprayer
How about intake fins combined with an air ram "hood scoop". Something that starts out 4 to 5 inches in the front of the kart and gradually reduces to 3/4 to 1/2 inch. No recharge needed and using plastic or pvc you can route it whenever you need.

Augiedoggie

Reckon you could repurpose a garden sprayer and fill it with water. Plumb the spray nozzle under hot intake area. Cooling fan could direct water mist away from blower drive. Use blower pressure to pressurize sprayer bottle. Bit of experimentation would help regulate nozzle size to boost pressure.
Hey just spitballing here...

Your pump up sprayer idea could be the ticket! Except, it would need to spay a water/alcohol mist INSIDE the intake tube.
Never mind. I'll come up with 20 PSI somehow. I was thinking windshield washer pump, but that's a no go.