So.Cal. Observed Trials Competition Event March 28-29

Smallbore

For any of you guys in the Southern California Area this coming March 28 & 29 is the 39th Annual El Trial de Espana. If you have never watched Observed Trials before then I urge you to come and check it out. El Trial attracts the best riders in the United States, and sometimes a few European riders show up. This is the warm up event before the U.S. Championships. 1992 was the last year I rode this event, and retired from competition shortly after. This is a 2 day event with Saturday being Round 9 of the S.C.T.A. (Southern California Trials Association) and Sunday is El Trial de Espana. Starting at 12 noon there will be a Pro Class exhibition, and this is not to be missed ! If you have never seen Trials before, this will blow you away ! The riding area itself is public land, so bring you Camper or Tents, and enduro, MX, and trail bikes and come join us for a weekend of Fun ! More info at the S.C.T.A Website at: SOCALTRIALS.COM

Last edited:
Back in the day it was Sammy Miller from England who made the Trials so popular all over the world. I think the first one was held at Carlsbad and I think he rode a Cotton Trials Bike. The Trials is the way to learn bike control too many young riders just want to go fast and crash and burn. Watching the control of the bikes by athletes that they truly are is worth the trip.
I always liked the Gas Gas bikes.
It's the odball things like Trials and Speedway that fill in the gaps and are so thrilling to watch. Steve :scooter:

Smallbore

Mini Trials....

That sounds like fun. Be sure to post some pictures. Do they make mini trials bikes for kids?
Yea theres a bunch of them now a days... In the old days there was only the Bultaco Tyran which was a 100cc motor in a small frame , and quite rare today and the Montesa Cota 25 which was actually 49cc. I had 2 of the Montesa`s which got restored and went to collectors some years ago. Here`s then and now...

Smallbore

Here`s one of todays Top Dogs in the Trials world.... Toni Bou This is 6 1/2 minutes long, but worth the time. Maybe this will persuade some folks to come out.....

I just watched the video and all i can say is WOW ! :thumbsup: If that is what trials riding is im going next month for sure. That was awesome !!!

Last edited:

Motra

That video is amazing! I've always felt that trials is some of the most amazing and underestimated or unrecognized motorcycling there is. That's unbelievable talent!

WOW that is just unreal it has been a long time since I have seen this type of action and truthfully nothing I ever saw was as good as this. I wonder who makes the tires and rims on that bike they sure took a pounding. As for the rider his skill is in knowing his machine and an incredible balance like a built in gyro. Thanks for the link. Steve :scooter:

Smallbore

I wonder who makes the tires and rims on that bike they sure took a pounding.
All riders use either Michelin or IRC radials. Tubeless rear and a tube in front. Akkron and Sun rims are still around and between the newer alloys, spool hubs, and a cross 3 & 4 spoke pattern the wheels are bullet proof. Bikes today are Super Light too. 250 to 300cc 2-Strokes barely top the scales at 150-155 pounds and the new generation of 4 strokes like the Montesa 4RT 250cc weigh just 162lbs. !! I remember the days when a 180 lb. 2-Stroke Trials bike was considered light. :doah: Riden today are Gas Gas, Beta, Montesa, Scorpa (yamaha engine), and Sherco (former Bultaco).