Speedway Scorpion

Foos

Early 70's Speedway Scorpion Mini bike, Torque Converter Drive, 4 HP Tecumseh Engine, Missing headlight and air cleaner otherwise pretty much all there. I had this on craigslist and have had 2 no shows or maybe this weekend people so i thought I would post it here. Location maple Lake,minnesota
Price $300

speedweay1.jpg speedway2.jpg speedway3.jpg speedway4.jpg speedway5.jpg

Ding Ding

Hey this is Mike. I've email a couple times about this bike and I would love to come check it out & buy it.

Please let me know. I am available tonight!

612 590 2228

Saw that. My phone didn't tell me that I had missed a call and no message was left so I didn't even know I he had responded to my email until late Sunday night. Sux because I had all Sunday afternoon to go and pick it up. I thought it was no big deal since I was headed out there on Monday again anyway. Tried to make arrangements to pick it up on Monday when we went out there to go to the junk yard. Unfortunately the junkyard was closed. Long drive for nothing. Tried calling a number of times on our way back to see if we could meet up a little early and no answer. Didn't want to sit and wait for 2-1/2 hours with no guarantee that he would even be there. Just couldn't make it work the rest of the week due to work. Glad someone that appreciates it got it.

Ding Ding

I emailed 3 times from sunday to tuesday with no response. Saw the craiglist ad was gone Wednesday. I was lucky enough to see it listed here 12 minutes after the the thread was made. I got the bike 2 hours later. It's already torn apart and I have 2 hot leads on parts sources. This is going to bea real nice bike when it's all re$tored.

Ding Ding

That bike is beautiful the way it is. Still has original paint.
I am a big fan of things that look original, but this bike needs attention. The original paint is dull and lacks luster of any kind. Some of the red you see in the pictures is actually rust. Additionally, the frame gussets are cracked and will need to be welded & repaired. I would leave it as original as possible if I thought I would be doing it a favor, but it needs to be redone. It doesn't "pop" or shine at all. I've been thinking about making it bahama blue instead of the red.

From the last bill I kept:
Handlebars $125
Long Cat Chain Guard $70
6" Fender $50
Tec S pipe $40
Brake Lever $15
Six shock bodies $110
Shock Spring Collar $20
8 Shock Springs $60
10" wheel $50

So yeah, I exaggerated a bit. Rounded it out. These guys have been in business for several decades, no shipping, no hassle, specializing in show car restorations. So I'll change my "guess" to $800. Plus shipping. And I'll stick with them. :thumbsup:

Ding Ding

The way I see it is that I really don't have that much chrome to replace as there isn't a ton if it on the bike. I'm hoping to replace some parts with NOS or slightly used parts, rather than re-chroming everything I have. Of course this is all dependent on what I can get for parts, but the leads I have sound very promising. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

The way I see it is that I really don't have that much chrome to replace as there isn't a ton if it on the bike. I'm hoping to replace some parts with NOS or slightly used parts, rather than re-chroming everything I have. Of course this is all dependent on what I can get for parts, but the leads I have sound very promising. We'll see how it goes.
I tried that route on my current Rupp Roadster project. I can assure you, it doesn't save you any money buying NOS parts

Ding Ding

I tried that route on my current Rupp Roadster project. I can assure you, it doesn't save you any money buying NOS parts
Well it may not work with every brand of bike, but I recently accomplished going "that route" on my Arctic SSScat II, and it saved me quite a bit of money.

Bottom line: if NOS is cheaper than re-chroming = it saves money

Well it may not work with every brand of bike, but I recently accomplished going "that route" on my Arctic SSScat II, and it saved me quite a bit of money.

Bottom line: if NOS is cheaper than re-chroming = it saves money
NOS is often cheaper than re-chrome. Plus, you get a more accurate quality of finish. A lot of new chrome is too good to look original. All they did back in the 70s is clean and dip, very little polishing before the chrome process.

Last edited: