Speedway Scorpion

NOS is often cheaper than re-chrome.
Definitely does not apply to several bikes out there where parts NOS or not, are simply unavailable. Photo showed a LOT of chrome, and that's fresh chrome, hence my comment. For my current "budget" build Powell, I have about 750-worth of chrome getting done now. By far, the biggest expense.

Edit: And congrats on scoring the bike Ding- I think these are neat bikes.

Last edited:
I've even had to tell my chrome guy to tone it down a bit, his default work was too nice and looked out of place.

As for NOS vs. Re-chrome, I was quoted $35 for a Cherry brake lever assembly, but NOS is $20 or so. Re-chrome handle bars, $75, NOS was $50. The hard part is finding NOS, as Dave points out.

Last edited:
I just got a couple of parts from him. I felt at least on those items his prices were very fair. I have only communicated with him thru email tho and never met him.

Ding Ding

Definitely does not apply to several bikes out there where parts NOS or not, are simply unavailable. Photo showed a LOT of chrome, and that's fresh chrome, hence my comment. For my current "budget" build Powell, I have about 750-worth of chrome getting done now. By far, the biggest expense.

Edit: And congrats on scoring the bike Ding- I think these are neat bikes.
Thanks, Dave. I too think it is a neat bike.

In regard to chrome, the blue bike I posted, and finding parts.......All my bikes are and will be riders. With that said, This Speedway will not be a perfect 10 point restoration, however, it will be a real nice bike. My other bikes are show worthy, but certainly not perfect. This Speedway will be no different. I don't expect it to look exactly as and as nice as the blue bike I posted but it will be an awesome clean bike when I get done with it. I still don't know what parts I will end up replacing or re-chroming but in the end it will be a nice machine.

Here are a couple pics after I got it home....

Nice bike, lots of character. Wish I had one. Doesn't need much to restore to original from what I see. Paint the wheels and frame, refurb the rear shocks, re-chrome the front forks and bars if they won't clean up, zinc plate the sprocket and pick up a new chain at Tractor Supply. Looks like most of the parts are there. I personally wouldn't add chrome where it wasn't originally, but that's my preference, especially if it's a rider.

fistfullabar

Nice bike! I say go overboard! Gotta redo the fork ears so you might as well go show chrome on the front end and dont skimp on the mag wheels they look funtastic chromed up! Blue is the way to go it is next on the "hit list" for us. Good idea on fixing the welds up make last forever:thumbsup:

Ding Ding

Nice bike! I say go overboard! Gotta redo the fork ears so you might as well go show chrome on the front end and dont skimp on the mag wheels they look funtastic chromed up! Blue is the way to go it is next on the "hit list" for us. Good idea on fixing the welds up make last forever:thumbsup:
Thanks. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the fork ears/headlight mounts. They are obviously broken off, and would need to be replaced IF that is the route I want to go. I just found the headlight is available for purchase, so I could make it happen but I will need the mounts as well. I don't know. The easy route is to not put the headlight on(and find a tail light) and try to get it all working....

The guard is in much better shape than I could have imagined. Should clean up quick and those dents will be easy to fix. That is a very nice score and now it makes me even more upset I missed it. :thumbsup:

Ding Ding

The guard is in much better shape than I could have imagined. Should clean up quick and those dents will be easy to fix. That is a very nice score and now it makes me even more upset I missed it. :thumbsup:
Wish I could say the same for the handlebars.....

They're bent, corroded, and the U bolts have damn near worn through them! Fortunately a OldMiniBikes member with a nice NOS pair messaged me and I will have a decent set of replacement bars in the near future. Good thing too, these bars are pretty much shot!