Spray painting a car??

I have a 1968 cougar and i dont have any money to get it painted. So i want to just buy some spray paint bottles and spray it. I am going to paint it flat black. Will spray paint stick good. I have already sanded the car. Would spray paint work good??

There is the picture of the car.

I love cougars, It would work for a temporary paint job, Doesn't last long and kinda looks crappy in my opinion

It also reminds me alot of "ricer" cars.....

But if its all ya got, it would look like an old vintage rod, paint some flames and you got that 50's greaser look

I almost bought a 1968 429 cougar for 1500
I smack myself for not buying it....

any more pictures?

Last edited:
Sure no problem. I painted a 64 Olds Super 88 this past fall that way. Sanded the whole thing really good, taped it all off, and removed some of the trim. Then primed it light with Rust-oleum auto primer (8 cans), then painted it with real cheap Manards flat black paint. (36 cans .99c a can) After that wetsand it with 800 and your good to go. I think it cost me just under $120 for everything including the sandpaper. I bet it wont last 2 years, but it did make it throught the winter fine.

Josh

i had an '82 Celica GT that i would spray paint a new color every weekend. i paid $300 for it (put over 30,000 miles on it delivering pizza) and gave up on masking stuff after the 2nd time. :laugh:

To save money you could just but a cheapy harbor freight gun, buy your self a reasonable base sealer primer at the auto paint store. Tape off your car and shoot it out side. If you have a private back yard no one will complain. You'll get a way more even job that will be thicker and do a better job of keeping the car of getting surface rust back through it. Just make sure you wet down the area of ground where your going to shoot to keep the dust down, over the grass is best. I'm guessing you are painting the whole car and that will take a crap load of bomb cans, and at darn near $3 a piece for cheap stuff that adds up quick. Plus bomb cans take way longer than a gun. If you have your car taped and ready to go you'll be done in 30 min.to and hour tops with a gun, compared to hours or days with bomb cans. If you price it out both ways I bet its pretty close.

Just my two cents.:thumbsup:

It doesnt last long especially in the snow, rain, and salt, They do scratch easily, but they have that dull look so you dont notice

look into what boondocks said, i think he has a much better idea

If you do buy a gun to spray it make sure to buy one of the air pressure regulators, and also a inline air filter (they only cost a buck or two) you'll need to dial down the pressure from the compressor and I think its easier to control at the gun, and the inline filter just makes a nicer job.

The bumper stickers would be kool though:thumbsup: You'd be the only dude in town rollin a cougar that way. Or build one of those cars where you glue McDonalds happy meal toys all over it:thumbsup: