Spraying nitrous !?

Has anyone sprayed a small engine, 200cc or more . Thinking about spraying a shot on my bike ... Built up pred 212 with all the fixings on methanol.:scooter:

There was a guy on here that was spraying. 5hp flat head. He was running a TAV. Seemed like a fairly well built engine but the math didn't add up from motor passes to nitrous passes. I can't remember his username. If you search nitrous or NOS it may surface.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

This kit has a 1.25 lb nitrous oxide bottle, solenoid, small/medium/large nozzles for spraying into the air snorkels on a fuelie (the old way to say fuel injection) bike, plumbing, and an arming switch.

Add a small 12 Volt battery (4 Amp hour alarm backup battery), 5 Amp fuse, fuse holder, momentary-On "spray" switch, and you have a nitrous system for your mini.

Jet the carb richer than normal, run a range or two colder spark plug than normal, and go. Make sure its clutched in and pulling at low RPM then spray it. Spray as it pulls up through the gear, but let up on the spray before reaching top revs... it needs a few strokes to clean the last of the spray out before it will start throttling down.

Nitrous Oxide adds 3 molecules of Oxygen and one of Nitrogen. Dry Nitrous is a gas which expands violently as it flows out the nozzle. When a gas expands it gets cold, so all air entering the engine is cooler and more oxygen-laden, and thus more dense. With so much more Oxygen going in, you must add fuel... or else you will melt aluminum. Fatten it up before you spray.

Jon

Great find ... Just what I was looking for.... Thx

I was originally looking at boostinductions kit but didn't think it was large enough since its for 90 cc and under .. just want to spray 5-10 hp .. and def going on a motorcycle Dyno to tune with a wideband . Might keep the spraying on a trigger on the left handle bar since I only race 100' drag

Street Smart

Problem with using a "dry" kit is they want you to over jet the carb to match the nitrous being sprayed. You need a "wet" kit that will add fuel as well so you don't have to run the carb fat all the time.

No doubt a "wet" kit is a great way to go, since it meters in pressurized fuel, but since a mini lacks a 12 Volt pressurized fuel pump of any sort, and a metering system...

For a bike racing 100 feet, either jet it rich (simple) and use a dry nitrous kit (simple) which are both inexpensive and effective,

or

Completely redesign, change, and calibrate a new fuel delivery and metering system to something far more complex and expensive. If you have seen a wet kit on a small engine, please share a link, I'd like to study what's been done.

Methanol by volume requires about double or more the liquid fuel to attain stoichiometry (Air/Fuel ratio of gasoline is about 14.7:1 and methanol is maybe closer to 7:1). I have never run it with nitrous but I bet that makes some big power.

Last edited:
Great find ... Just what I was looking for.... Thx

I was originally looking at boostinductions kit but didn't think it was large enough since its for 90 cc and under .. just want to spray 5-10 hp .. and def going on a motorcycle Dyno to tune with a wideband . Might keep the spraying on a trigger on the left handle bar since I only race 100' drag
Good plan! Run a ground-on-make switch as the final leg of the solenoid wiring.

Appreciate all the info guys.... And yes I think a dry shot will be much easier.

There is a competitor who has a Briggs blockzilla on nitrous with 12v source ... I hadn't gotten a chance to really study it but he beat me by some when my bike was running iffy from lack of tuning the bugs out ..

Ahhhh... In the process of building a 460cc for the bike ... For now since I have the bike running good a little hit will be good.

I did on a predator, on the dyno. I put a fogger nozzle, and ran the fuel from a Y block in the fuel line. It went from 27hp naturally aspirated, to 24.7hp with nitrous.

Touche'.

My post lacked specifically saying that the post I linked lacks adequate details. I only posted that link to satisfy the OP.

Notice the Walbro pump isn't feeding the gasoline solenoid? It may have worked great, but there are no details there.

Evidently I should have posted "If you find a link to a detailed wet system with an electric fuel or mechanical fuel pump, other than the one I am linking to right here, please share a link to that detailed system so I can learn something new from it.

Jon