Steven Auerbach's 1960 Go-Kart Cycle Greenhorn Enduro

I was reading some stories, and this is a great one.:thumbsup:
I'm glad you did, because now I got to read it. Saw the pics, never the write up.

That neck brace- they used a 7/8 down tube, and it was proving to be a weak point in the frame. So it was a known problem that carried over to the Flexo purchase. After purchase, Flexo started using 1" down tubes to prevent that. I wonder of GKC was welding on the brace as they went out the door, or if dealers were doing it?

Gerry, I’m 72 yrs old now and that first ride on Steve’s mini bike 58 years ago is still clearly imprinted on my otherwise fading memory. Not only was it the first motorized vehicle I’d ridden but also the first I crashed. Going full speed down the sidewalk near Steve’s house, I hit a section that lifted from erosion. The rigid frame bounced me up in the air. The bike went up someone’s front lawn and I came down on the edge of the curb, tearing a chunk out of my thigh. I remember laying in the hospital and all I could think of was how I could save up enough money to buy one. I still have the scar as a souvenir of that fateful day.
Your professional and respectful display and preservation of Steve’s bike and the enjoyment of other forum members reading about it, brought tears to my eyes. I was cleaning out the files on an old MacBook and came across the link to this forum and I’m glad I did. If the bike ever ends up on a calendar, please send me a copy.
Thanks again to you and all the forum members for carrying on the memories. I’m sure Steve is looking down and smiling.

A big "Thank You" for posting this sir. The steady march of time might blur life's footnotes written by the regular guy, but for him, the memories live on forever. Thank you, and Gerry for sharing and preserving another little bit of history.