Steven Durhams Kids Trike in Sketchup

I know I'm a bit new here, but I found pics of Steven Durhams kiddie and decided to make it in sketchup.

I'll put in credit once its finished (cant remember the creator of the engine, wheels, clutch, and rear end right now)

In the mean time, here's a screenshot. It should be finished in a few days.

WOW A cool thing to see. The parts were 3 HP Briggs engine with the big tank. Clutch was Horstman metal shoe. The wheels , Brake and all the axle parts were from Azusa Engineering. Front end one of the D&D Mini bike front ends without the suspension legs.
It was a live axle trike and worked very well that way. Seat was custom made cut to fit and Upholstered by RUSS CUSTOM UPHOLSTERY.
Built two frames in one night 12-22-1973 and went to paint one green and one red and the paint went bad on the red one so we changed over to give one Indian MM5A to my nephew Billy Daniels.
Steve :scooter:

Still to do:
Throttle, Brake lever, cables, grips, better footpegs, seat, clean up all lines, and recolor. and whatever else I end up wanting to change lol

Credit:
Knobby tires: sofie9536
Engine mount, axle, smooth tires, brake, and sproket: rmcguru
Engine and Clutch: ambience

I'll go ahead and upload the file to google 3d warehouse. Once i finish it, i'll update it there.

This may be EXACTLY the project for my son and I to tackle with the 212 Predator and clutch he will be getting for Christmas. Very cool, simple design. Love it.

WTG Steve! And those are some MAD CAD skills Trey!

WOW Trey33088 that is so cool and way way beyond necessary. I wish I had the computer skills to do things like that.
And to add to the list the foot pegs were a pair of fold up pegs that were smaller than the normal
Anderson we used a lot back then.
The rear sprocket was a split #35 chain Azusa on a Vari-Hub and the brake was another Vari-Hub with a 4.5 inch Azusa brake. The chain had to go under the frame bar and we made a shouldered oil-light bushing to fit into a Idler sprocket.
This little trike had a long life with a lot of riders of all ages if they could fit they rode it.

I thinks it's great that it lasted such a long time with your family man!

I've got a nephew and a couple of nieces, and another nephew on the way soon, though no kids of my own. I'm really considering building your trike for them as a gift. Just have to figure out how to get it from Washington to Louisiana lol...

I think they're all at the age where they'll enjoy something like that.

On a side note, I have 2 little briggs 900 engines (9 ft/lbs is what they're labeled) that I thought about doubling up and making a speedier version for myself lol... guess I'm going to have to do that in sketchup too....

For you guys with sketchup, here's the link to the download:

Minitrike by Trey33088 - Google 3D Warehouse

If you've never used it, you should try it lol... It's kinda like Autocad for Dummies. Uber simple to start playing with, but pretty powerful if you know what you're doing.

I usually marker and napkin, move to pen and paper, then mockup in sketchup... it REALLY helps the ideas flow

trey33088 : One thing I remember as a kid growing up was being on the outside looking in when some of the neighbors kids had all the goodies like Go Karts and Scooters or Mini Bikes that my family could not supply. But even at the youngest age I knew what money shortages were and how it affected a family. The neighbors kids did not have to do anything to get the things they had. I always had to work for things our family was the janitors at a small private Christan School in Wilmington, California for one year, that was how we earned the tuition for all 3 of us.
So through the years I have always had a soft spot for the kids on the sideline with that look that says I want to ride, I want to ride, I want to ride.
I have built many mini go karts that were shared with neighborhood kids, who I know have never forgotten who supplied that first ride and payment was see the big smiles and knowing myself how waiting in line for my next turn just sucked. The one I built for my 5 Grand Children way back in 2001 is still around and will be recycled this next summer.
So here is a new project LOL

You sir, are a good man! You must be that popular that neighbor that kids randomly visit just to see if they might get a chance to "help you out" aka, ride your minibike or go kart lol

I've got tons of projects in the garage(most prominently two '74 cb360 cafe racers and a baja warrior clone, followed by the roommates 01' suzuki katana), and it's always a blast to leave the door open and watch the neighborhood kids go by and be like, "Wow! that guys cool!"

Steve, I was THAT kid too, the one on the sideline when my friends had YZ80s and 3 and 4 wheelers. I had to work mowing lawns to buy the junk minibikes that I could fix. I love that you let the neighbor kids ride too. I do as well, though I need their parents permission. I still worry that one will get hurt and I will end up footing a big bill for a broken arm or something. Crashing seems to be part of riding.

I love your cart design, super simple and super cool. Can I ask what bender you have? I am limited by my lack of one, but intend to change that someday soon.

turftech 1: Thank you for the compliment. I too worry about the risk of letting kids ride and I built it for a safe ride above all else. The main frame is 1 inch 4130 Chrome Molly .095 and the rest of the roll bar is 3/4 inch DOM .083 tubing and I made a special gear reduction that bolts onto the side of the 3 HP Tecumseh engine this is to slow the kart down. The kart has a kill switch and also a radio controlled kill switch very helpful when new riders give it a go.
The seat is adjustable as well as the steering wheel angle, and the dual set of brake and gas pedal receivers accommodates a wide range of drivers.
About my bender it is a Pro Tools 10 ton HB 302 One Shot. I made the table so the the bender could be used both Vertical and Horizontal bends. I have bending dies for 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch pipe for building things like welding karts and other non riding projects. For tubing I have dies for 3/4" 7/8" 1" !/14" and 1 1/2" these dies cost a bunch and I don't use them any where as much as I should. I also have Pro Tools tubing notcher.