Stock brakes: full performance.

cxbra

This thread is about how to extract the full power from the stock brakes.

Cable tension is the only think people really look at when tuning their brakes, but you also need to look at the pre-load in the brake-actuating arm. When adjusting your brakes, if you pre-load the brake arm THEN set the tension, it will amplify your braking power. Test it out, you'll see what I mean.

I have my brakes set basically from no engagement to full-engagement (no in-between) but it grips like a bull!! The lever only moves back about an inch before it completely stops, no spongy feeling. I can now officially LOCK up my rear tire slowing down on asfalt!!! Forget hydraulic, just tune out your stock disk.. Sure, I have years experience as a bike mechanic but still, this is one tip a beginner could do also. A must try!

(Also, im im stock tires w/ about 25% tread left but you get the point)

locking up your tire will take longer to stop. also, if you haven't ridden with a hydraulic on a DB then you can't really say to forget them. they're worth the money.

vette66_00

My 220 lbs fat butt on a Modified DB can stop faster than my son on a stock DB and his 90 lbs butt. The feel of Hydro brakes is 100% more responsive.

Guys hydro is clearly gonna beat mechanical in nearly every situation but the point is these are some good tips from cxbra. This will definetly help me set my brake up better which I have really been needing because the thing wont even lock up now. Im sure everyone would run hydro brakes if they had an extra 100-200 bucks, but heck that can get close to the actual cost of the DB so why not get the most out of what you've got?

Thanks cxbra, :thumbsup:

I will be checking for efficiency / improvements for my stock brake system.

Now that I got my DB running faster; it's time to address the problem of stopping this little bugger safely.

:scooter:

I agree great tips. But!!!! there's that word, when the caliper bracket breaks, or the adjuster bolt strips, or some other stupid freek thing in nature happens, hydraulic was my choice. And I'll guarantee, that me and my 360 pound butt going full bore will stop quicker than you. HEE HEE Besides I'll bet with all the experience posted in this thread alone, these guys have already tried all the little tricks before also going hydraulic.

I have to say, yes the stock brake can be set up quite well. Most people don't take the time to adjust them and complain that they don't work. In most cases I don't think a hydraulic brake is necessary but damn are they nice!

Now I just don't understand this statement,
I have my brakes set basically from no engagement to full-engagement (no in-between)
Why the hell would you want your brakes to work like that???? :eek:ut:

Now I just don't understand this statement, Why the hell would you want your brakes to work like that???? :eek:ut:
kind of makes you question the rest of the post doesn't it?

getting the hydraulic brake should be one of the first mods that is done to a DB. it's a good idea to make it stop better before making it faster.

I say go ahead use your stock brakes....then the first time you cant stop, hit the curb, run into traffic, eat dirt/asphalt come back here. Then we will explain how to setup your CHEAP $50 insurance policy that will stop you.

So how do you adjust the preload? Guys you should check the caliper mine had the posts (the chrome shafts the caliper slides on) mine were cross threaded so the calipe doesn't work right and the pad doesn't cover the rotor as it should.

I also saw a thread on here that says replacing the brake cable with the correct size for the housing also really helps the braking.

I think it would be foolish to argue that caliper brakes are as good or better than after market hydros. However, I think what is suggested here is helpful and accurate for many newer DB owners and riders. I was disapointed in the origional set up of my caliper brakes. I am not a mechanic but have been sufficiently educated by my father, who is a mechanic, about brake adjustments. With a little education and proper adjustment, my brakes work plenty well to my liking at this point. Ofcourse, if I had an additional $55 bucks laying around for my bike, I'd be running hydros like some of you. :thumbsup:

cxbra

I have to say, yes the stock brake can be set up quite well. Most people don't take the time to adjust them and complain that they don't work. In most cases I don't think a hydraulic brake is necessary but damn are they nice!

Now I just don't understand this statement, Why the hell would you want your brakes to work like that???? :eek:ut:
Ahh, all is lost at the expence of performance. :thumbsup:

This is a great thread with all of the big boys talking about brakes. Can someone please direct me to the correct hydo brake set up? After some close calls lately I could definately use the insurance policy.

I got the hydralic brake set up, just before they ran out of them again... Put it on my... I mean my daughters DB. (I really did buy the DB for them not me,.. Honest).. All I can say is WOW.... :thumbsup:. Now my... I mean my daughters DB is ready for the 6.5 clone upgrade... Then I... :censure: ..... I mean they can really have some fun...