Suspension forks for BIG wheels...

I just bought a Metal Motors MX 196 with 19-7.00-8 tires, but no front suspension. I've been looking around but haven't found anything I can put on, I have some old mountain bike forks that I could rig up into the stock forks, has anyone done this?, or have a source of suspension forks for these wheels/bikes?

joekd

I'm not familiar with the metal motor works stuff but maybe a baja warrior front end would fit?

I have a spare set if you need me to take any specific measurements off them for you

I'm not familiar with the metal motor works stuff but maybe a baja warrior front end would fit?

I have a spare set if you need me to take any specific measurements off them for you
I think it would fit, don't they sleeve in, and bolt to where the top tubes come below the lower triple clamp? I''m pretty sure the Baja Warrior runs the same wheels as mine. If you could give me the diameter of the top of the fork tubes and confirm how the suspension lower attach to those tubes, I'ld buy them from you, you can PM me if you want, although I'm a PM virgin on this site!

joekd

I think it would fit, don't they sleeve in, and bolt to where the top tubes come below the lower triple clamp? I''m pretty sure the Baja Warrior runs the same wheels as mine. If you could give me the diameter of the top of the fork tubes and confirm how the suspension lower attach to those tubes, I'ld buy them from you, you can PM me if you want, although I'm a PM virgin on this site!
Correct, the one tube runs through the head tube then bolts right on top

I wouldn't even want to think about how much it would cost to ship these to you, these forks are a rock

Will get some measurements later

joekd

Ok, here's the fork info

First a view of the top of the trees where everything is bolted

You can see the top bolt in the center under the bar mounts and the two outer leg bolts

Here's the measurements

Point A (center of bolt) to B (center of stem) is 5 1/8", it does not look like it in the pic because of the angle but the top of each leg is even with the top of the stem.

Point B (top of stem) to C (top of bearing ring) is 8 1/2" and each bolt at D is 25/64" thread diameter and 1 1/2" overall length

Let me know if you need any more info

Ok, here's the fork info

First a view of the top of the trees where everything is bolted

You can see the top bolt in the center under the bar mounts and the two outer leg bolts

Here's the measurements

Point A (center of bolt) to B (center of stem) is 5 1/8", it does not look like it in the pic because of the angle but the top of each leg is even with the top of the stem.

Point B (top of stem) to C (top of bearing ring) is 8 1/2" and each bolt at D is 25/64" thread diameter and 1 1/2" overall length

Let me know if you need any more info
Thanks a lot for the info, I do have the same measurements, but I have 2 triple clamps and they're both welded to the fork tubes, also the bar mounts are a bit different. I'ld ask you what the axle mount looks like but I think I'm going to fabricate some Earles/leading link forks out of my existing forks. Also I know how expensive shipping is having sold a lot of motorcycle parts on Ebay.
I am curious though where these forked dampened with oil? how well did they work?

joekd

There is an internal spring and some of the cheapest oil you will ever find (usually very underfilled too)

Myself and tons of other immediately drain the oil and fill it with a good motorcycle shock oil

There is an internal spring and some of the cheapest oil you will ever find (usually very underfilled too)

Myself and tons of other immediately drain the oil and fill it with a good motorcycle shock oil
Well at least it's dampened! I must admit I like the look of regular forks over leading link ones so how much would you let your old ones go for? and do you live East coast or West?

joekd

East coast, I'm in Connecticut but keep in mind a few things

1: These have always been my spare set that I used for mock up on the front brake project and are really in crappy shape

2: They weight a ton

3: I already cut the front headlight mounts off teaching my son to use the angle grinder

3: I don't have the top mount plate for these at all

3: Have I mentioned these are in crappy shape?

Now for the only positives

1: I do have the axle but dont know if it is straight or in dcent shape at all

2: I have a front rim for it, no tire but does have the bearings (will need spacers)

So my true 100% opinion, these are great as mock ups but I wouldnt use them for much more than that

I bought the entire warrior roller these came off of for under $50, may be better to just keep your eyes open for a deal like that in your area

East coast, I'm in Connecticut but keep in mind a few things

1: These have always been my spare set that I used for mock up on the front brake project and are really in crappy shape

2: They weight a ton

3: I already cut the front headlight mounts off teaching my son to use the angle grinder

3: I don't have the top mount plate for these at all

3: Have I mentioned these are in crappy shape?

Now for the only positives

1: I do have the axle but dont know if it is straight or in dcent shape at all

2: I have a front rim for it, no tire but does have the bearings (will need spacers)

So my true 100% opinion, these are great as mock ups but I wouldnt use them for much more than that

I bought the entire warrior roller these came off of for under $50, may be better to just keep your eyes open for a deal like that in your area
Ok good advice! Did you manage to rig up a front brake on a Warrior?:thumbsup:

buckeye

Didn't you swap the front qnd rear rims or something. Using the back with the brake drum on the front? Or was that someone else.
Brigio, look in the baja warrior heat ect.. social group. Some of the builds there may give ya some ideas.

joekd

Yes, I am using a rear rim and brake on the front

Everything is ready to go but I haven't had anytime to even look at it due to the holidays and the whole family being home

Next week they are back to work/school so I will have plenty of playtime again :thumbsup: