Synthetic Oils

Does anyone use synthetic oil mix with an older 2 cycle motor, i.e. Sacks with a 24:1 mix ratio. I want to get rid of the 2cycle oil smoke when running, maybe Torco oil?

Several other posts on a different forum talk about using synthetic oil and nice to have no smoke and not the extra carbon build-up on the plug and in the mufflers

oldsledz

I have a lot of 2 stroke engines , with modern oils you don't need to mix your fuel 24:1 any more, I run 40:1 in all of mine many people are running 50:1 with no problems.

At 40:1 with fresh gas and the carb adjusted right you get vary little to no smoke once the engine is warmed up.

Klotz oil and some others have a nice scent also.

My main worry is that the manual for my JLO 230 said not to use 2 cycle outboard motor oil. The JLO and Sachs are so similar as to be one in the same. These older motors used an OE30, or OE40 non-detergent motor oil gas mix. Just worried that the new synthetics might not work rightand I'll have bearing issues.

oldsledz

The cheapest 2 cycle made today is a lot better than the best oil you could buy in the 60s and early 70s.
The old outboard oils were not vary good in cold weather is why the book says not to use them. I have 2 sleds with the 230 JLO and at least 10 more sleds with other Sachs and JLO engines, synthetic oil will not hurt them.

One my Tri-Sport street trike I used Red Line and to help with the cost I bought it a gallon at a time. And made up batches set for 2 gallons of fuel. Found plastic type baby bottles at the dollar tree. and packed them away with the small amount of tools in a Ammo can.
I have used the smokeless oil by Polaris but at $6.00 a quart and the higher octane fuel it was not a cheap endeavor. But it was for 100% fun and being ( FREE ON THREE )
Steve :scooter:

Like The Smell

I like Klotz Benol castor oil for 2-strokes. It smokes a lot but it's really good oil and, best of all, it smells soooo good!

BeNOL® Racing Castor Oil
When I had my store I sold all the Klotz products as well as the Torco oil and chain and filter treatments. I sold racing fuels by Fransisco's just love to smell the Moon Gas burning in a 4 stroke. With a go kart track only a half a block away Saturday and Sunday was filled with lots of zippy smells and even burning race tires.
Then back in 1973 a 5 gallon can of moon gas was about $8.00 + 4% tax and it was about 115 octane. Pump gas was only $0.38 per gallon befor the gas wars hit.
Steve :scooter:

AMSoil for all applications. I use the RD30 race blend for our small engines, and I use the Dominator for our 2 stroke applications. They have a oil for all applications, even OEM requirements. Check out the web site, just google AMSoil and take a look.

how funny guy, you really know how to express ur feelings. just look at independant studies on the ball bearing test, and the results will speak for themselves. It outperforms every major competetor, including Mobile1, Royal Purple, Brad Penn, and on and on. Just look at the oil ratings on all the oils too, AMSoil has the highest ratings out of any oil on the market, so if its so bad then every independant study and the oil ratings must not mean crap either.