Taco 22 serial number question, are there different types?

A couple of weeks ago I posted a photo of a pair of Taco "22" mini bikes I purchased at a swap meet.....I am now started to look at these closely and found that the two have different types of serial numbers stamped on the frame......The first frame is stamped (large stamp) 8P2561 (Taco 22, 1968, I believe)....The other is stamped (small stamp) 82968 (no letter "P")....Was there two types of SN stampings?....any help would be appreciated, please see attached photos....Frank.

Attachments

Yeah, I'm familiar with that site....My question was referring to the numbered bike without the letter, just have not seen that type SN....Hoped someone else has....

Where are all the Taco experts? I can't remember myself.:laugh:
Long time OldMiniBikes member "Mac" is your go-to guy for all things Taco. Unfortunately, he does not post on here anymore, however, you might try sending him a PM. Heck of a nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and willing to share it with others. Personally, I would not even think about pulling the trigger on a bike being represented as a Taco w/o him checking it out first!
Michael

Long time OldMiniBikes member "Mac" is your go-to guy for all things Taco. Unfortunately, he does not post on here anymore, however, you might try sending him a PM. Heck of a nice guy with a wealth of knowledge and willing to share it with others. Personally, I would not even think about pulling the trigger on a bike being represented as a Taco w/o him checking it out first!
Michael
Taco Bill is THE Taco Guru. He owns every model of every year ever made. Mac is the go to guy for all things Mini Bike LOL!

Hounddog

A couple of weeks ago I posted a photo of a pair of Taco "22" mini bikes I purchased at a swap meet.....I am now started to look at these closely and found that the two have different types of serial numbers stamped on the frame......The first frame is stamped (large stamp) 8P2561 (Taco 22, 1968, I believe)....The other is stamped (small stamp) 82968 (no letter "P")....Was there two types of SN stampings?....any help would be appreciated, please see attached photos....Frank.

Hi Frank, I went and measured my early 67-68 Tacos. The letters and numbers measure 3/16 inch in height. My later 69-70 Tacos measure larger. Your second serial number 82968 appears to be smaller than 3/16, if so I have never seen a smaller serial number for a 67-68 Taco. Hope that helps, HD