tank swaps

markus

Ive got this blue clone engine that came on a bike I bought. Its pretty much brand new, runs great, etc... Been trying to find something I can put it on. I would like to keep a tank mounted to it but the stock tank has the big cutout for the air cleaner cover and I would like to use mikuni style carb setup and I'm missing the cover anyway. Are the tanks interchangeable? Is there a particular tank I should look for. I had a little 3.5 honda that I sold that had tank with no cutout on it, but I never took the 5 minutes to see if it would swap out on this motor and now its gone:doah:

the motor:

Bobscooters

When I mounted my B&S to my Rupp the gas tank wouldn't clear so I bought a round tank off ebay, it was ok but the tank was small and if ful gas would come out of cap. I bought a peanut style gas tank - same use on the bicycle motor kit to mount on the frame $25.bucks, paint job isn't very good though.

markus

When I mounted my B&S to my Rupp the gas tank wouldn't clear so I bought a round tank off ebay, it was ok but the tank was small and if ful gas would come out of cap. I bought a peanut style gas tank - same use on the bicycle motor kit to mount on the frame $25.bucks, paint job isn't very good though.
thanks but I am actually wanting to find a "stock" honda or clone tank that mounts in the original location on top of the motor with no "cut outs" and hopefully no major mods to fit.

Honda tanks don't have the cutouts but are otherwise identical. The cutout was one of the "design changes" the chinese did to the Honda to try and avoid lawsuits. I don't believe a 3hp Honda tank will fit the 5-6hp motors though. I think the tanks are sized by "family" so 3-4hp are one size, 5-6hp, 8-13 etc.

markus

Dave I think you are right the 3.5 I had seemed alot smaller. I was browsing ebay ans say some new honda tanks Its really hard to tell in pics if the will bolt on, but the front is an L bracket anyway so I guess I cam make something work if needed.

Aplyed, I have a buddy that lives near me that has an old rac car trailer stuffed with mini bikes, engines, and parts. Gonna see if hes gotta spare or at least one to try and go from there, Its still in the air if I will even need a tank Of all my frames, the Bonanzas look like they will fit the motor best (ability to center it) and 2 of my 3 Bonanzas have the fiberglass remote tanks, just have to make the decision of which one gets the :chinese:.....

thanks guys!