TAV drive on Predator - any issues?

I'm going to be rebuilding a couple of Rupp Enduros over the winter, and thinking about re-powering them both with Predator engines. I want to keep the TAV type drive on them. Has anyone else done this conversion, and if so did you run into any problems doing it? Thanks.

LOL! Im about to make a thread about this. They are excellent for these engines. Besides when you get to the point your pulling a nonstop 4800rpm and producing a shit ton of torque and hammer it all the time. I have never heard of such a thing but I done it, I broke the jackshaft! Well, the aluminum frame that houses the jackshaft better yet. Otherwise, if your not going to torture it with a brutally modded gx200, yea it works great and has for me for years!

JoePapa

I have the TAV2 on my Predator powered Baja. There's a few threads on it already. There's a video on Youtube (posted in one of the threads as well) that covers basically what you need to do. For the aluminum to fit on the Predator, I had to grind down the support fins to get it to clear the head. Then instead of just removing and leaving the directional air tin off, I marked and cut it to fit once I got the TAV on. The tin I'm referring to is along the bottom of the head. I had to do some other mods to make it fit a baja.

I have one of the TAV 2 clones on my predator. I love it. This is on a Brooks trail bike. Just Saturday, I took it out for a long fall ride, took some hills steep enough that I had to lean forward to keep the front wheel down, that Predator/TAV combo pulls like a team of horses.

I did not have to alter my aftermarket TAV, but I did also have to remove the little tin plate on the bottom of the head on my Predator. Also, because my Brooks bike was not designed to have a TAV connected to the motor, I had to elevate my engine mounts a bit, so my TAV could angle down without hitting the bottom frame-rail.
Totally worth the effort.

I bought one of the Chinese torque converters on ebay, I think I paid $179 shipped, but they have totally dropped in price and seem to be selling for about $120-135 shipped. I was a bit worried, but have had it for a yr or two and put many hrs on it and it has performed perfectly.

I have a Comet TAV2 on my Predator and no issues. Did have to grind the support for head clearance, but otherwise very happy.

Here it is: