TAV2 never disengages

Hello all,

I have a TAV2 that I just mounted to my predator 212. The issue is that the TAV2 doesn't ever release the belt, so at idle it still wants to go. The TAV2 I bought was NOS from Comet, not the new knockoffs.

I don't think it is the springs, even with the engine off and I turn it by hand it wants to keep the belt engaged... Granted, the drive pulley 'appears' to be fully opened up. I ran it on a jack and with throttle the drive will close like it's supposed to. I am at a bit of a loss here.

Thanks,
Bronsonj

buckeye

Got your belt on right?

Did ya lube her up??

Welcome to OldMiniBikes. What is this so called TAV mounted to??

A cool ol classic mini bike we are all just dyin to see??

You say New old stock...

Maybe its got some rust inside the driver that needs to be cleaned up with some wire wool...
A good dose of moly dry lube is required to keep these things functioning properly too.

toomanytoys

Did you use the backing plate or mount it seperate?

If you mounted it seperate your belt may be too short.

Check to see if your belt is on the write direction. Should be stamped "this side towards engine"

I didn't lube it up, no. I have some dry graphite spray lube, would that work.

NOW DON'T LAUGH..... It is not mounted so some really cool old minibike. It is not mounted to a minibike... It is inside what used to be an electric golf cart... But the golf cart guys don't like the 212 and Tav2, so I came here where the knowledge is.

I used the backing plate that came with it. I am pretty sure the belt is mounted in the right direction, but I will go check that now.

I need to see a picture of this please!

Also the idle RPM could be an issue you want it below 2000 rpm.

And the stationary sheaves of both the driver and driven must be in line

Silly golfers don't like the TAV lol..
Put an open header on it and some speed parts lower the gearing so it does wheelies.

Last edited:
It idles nice and low. Even with the engine off and I turn the crank by hand it wants to engage, that'd be about 2 RPM... It's not been pained yet or had any cosmetics done. She started out as a 1985 EZGO marathon. I will try uploading some photos in the next couple minutes.

Should I hit it with the dry graphite lube? I have heard not to use grease on this thing. I am presuming I dry lube the springs and weights and whatnot.

Check alignment and condition of belt, possible missing lock washer or bushing, or an over torqued bolt. Happy Troubleshooting.

Sent from Sony Ion using Tapatalk 2

OK, Here are some photos.

and some details

Now, when I got the TAV2, it was missing the bolt and washer that hold the drive clutch on. So I used that big-honkin' washer and a grade 8 bolt that you see there. Could that be part of the problem?

OK, it was the lube. I couldn't find my dry graphite, so I spread some Marvel Mystery Oil around in the drive clutch and now it disengages just fine.

Since the stuff I used is oil, I expect it to fling out of the clutch over time. What is the preferred lube?

Thanks all.

That is a very clean looking install.

The bolt and washer are not an issue.
Just be sure the clutches are lined up as directed ( I use a steel ruler to make sure ).

Comet sells a can of their own brand of Moly dry lube.
I use what ever I come by thats decent stuff....
As long as its moly and goes on gray and dry you should be fine.

The oil you used could get on the belt and cause some slip thats the only real issue you have to worry about.
That belt must be dry and clean for this to work correctly.

You could and probably should take the secondary clutch apart and read up on how to adjust the torsion spring.
Give the parts inside it a shot of that dry lube for long life.
Maybe polish your ramps for smoother engagement.

The tighter torsion spring will help the kart climb without bogging the engine down

Comet has a dry lube that is expensive.
Shop DuPont Teflon 11 oz Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant at Lowes.com

But that should work well enough
Thats not good stuff to use.

Very bad actually.

Keep Teflon silicon ect any of that away from your mini.
ESPECIALLY if you have a centrifugal clutch.
Teflon and silicon will contaminate those things and they will never lock up correctly ever again.
Same goes for adding a drop of anything other than non detergent 30 motor oil for your bushing.
The friction modifiers and who knows what else in some oils will equally muck up the surfaces kin a clutch