Tecumseh 3.5 lighted wire routing

Davis

Does anyone know where the spark plug wire routs on a Tecumseh 3.5 lighted engine probly around a 1967-68 engine if that matters.

all the older 2.5 3 3.5 4 5 hp motors that i have seen have the gen & coil wires out the front of the motor, with those long wires you got there i would say front side, on ebay i have seen the pug block you are missing for sale, big block Tecumseh motors i have seen the front side gen wires & rear side, nice find, best of luck

P.S. make sure you use a Tecumseh flywheel puller so you don't break or damage the crankshaft threads, & or the flywheel!!!!

Davis

The lighting wires are easy the backing plate behind the flywheel has a slot going at the back of the motor I'm more lookin where the spark plug wire routs.

capguncowboy

The lighting wires are easy the backing plate behind the flywheel has a slot going at the back of the motor I'm more lookin where the spark plug wire routs.
The spark plug wire should go out the right side of the blower housing, between the back plate and the tin on the side of the head.

markus

That era/version the wire came out under the tank, there should be a cut out on the air deflector shield, the round hole is for the fuel line to the engine mounted tank. and pre 1969 like yours, the wiring did come out the back for the lights/ground.

Pulled a 1969 beater H engine out yesterday for some testing:

Davis

That era/version the wire came out under the tank, there should be a cut out on the air deflector shield, the round hole is for the fuel line to the engine mounted tank. and pre 1969 like yours, the wiring did come out the back for the lights/ground.

Pulled a 1969 beater H engine out yesterday for some testing:
Thank you marcus that's what I was looking for and as far as this motor goes im seeing lots of different carb and exaust options and this motor is just the normal exaust on the left intake on the right not a side popper is that normal?

Thank you marcus that's what I was looking for and as far as this motor goes im seeing lots of different carb and exaust options and this motor is just the normal exaust on the left intake on the right not a side popper is that normal?
I know I have one like that that was originally on a Cat Wildcat. It uses that Taylor exhaust which blows soot exactly on the bike frame. IMO, that H35 is a torque monster for what it is.

Is this for your Tote Gote? LOL...hint, hint.

Davis

Oh god no tote gotes need lots more motor their way heavier duty than these tiny minis and im more of a briggs guy for sure ive never had good luck with tecumsehs.

Oh god no tote gotes need lots more motor their way heavier duty than these tiny minis and im more of a briggs guy for sure ive never had good luck with tecumsehs.
I know, I was making a joke, since I posted in your build thread. I understand you guys have been busy up there this year. And since I did a Nova a couple of years ago....lol, I know what kind of power they need.

As the others have said, you have a nice engine there.

Davis

Thanks but probly to fancy for me just like everything else on this bonanza that either don't exist or I cant afford the parts.

markus

There is a decent example of an actual Pre 1970 Lighted 3.5 (Rupp spec) running on ebay right now. Its been painted and redecaled but the configuration and exhaust is what you will be looking for if you want the original style of how it would have been factory stock:
Rupp Mini bike 1969 Scrambler H35 3.5 HP Engine

the pre 1970 small frame H engines like yours are pretty neat, they have a steel sleeve block and a cam that does not have a compression release bump built in, instead they have this tiny hole drilled that bypasses exhaust valve seat. Let that hole carbon up a little and take advantage of full compression :laugh: They changed the blocks for 1970-up and dropped the steel sleeve and started to add a small bump on the exhaust lobe for the comp release/ezstart. Not sure what bonanza specified but many of the small H engines pre 1970 were 5/8" crankshaft, and not drilled/tapped for a clutch retaining bolt as many of them back then used set screws to hole them on, 3/4" became pretty much standard in 1970 for the Recreational use engines though from what I have seen so rembmer to verify what it is if you need a clutch or anything like that.

thats a cool engine to have lighted, very uncommon as its really hard to source the Lighted parts for the H series. I have one off a 1969 Rupp scrambler I have been hoarding for a couple of years now, its the only lighted small frame engine I have ever got my hands on.

Last edited:

Davis

You are right on it is a 5/8 shaft not tapped and in another thread I asked to date this motor and was told it was a 1968 but the only things missing on this motor are the muffler and carb other than that it's there and has spark and the lighting wire lights up with a test light when pulled on so I think is ok. And on your post I noticed yours is a side popped and this one isn't.

Last edited:

markus

You are right on it is a 5/8 shaft not tapped and in another thread I asked to date this motor and was told it was a 1968 but the only things missing on this motor are the muffler and carb other than that it's there and has spark and the lighting wire lights up with a test light when pulled on so I think is ok. And on your post I noticed yours is a side popped and this one isn't.
That engine just happened to be out and on the bench yesterday, the deflector shroud and wire location match how yours should be routed. Its a 1969 H25 side exhaust. All small frame H engines and even the first year HS40 (1968) used that shame large deflector shield and wire routing in the 60's