Tecumseh HS40 ( A Challenge )

Thanks Ang....Its a Stealth engine ...:laugh:

Thanks Markus, and yea I was going to get the shaft turned down closer to the cover...but after doing some measuring with the short block mocked up its going to fit my build ok...with or with out the TAV. Engine plate with multiple engine slots and a jack shaft at the rear.

I'm getting closer to being done with this engine. I hope it runs .:scared:

Big Thanks to Kenny (minikenny) for all his help on this engine !

Last edited:
Thanks Ang....Its a Stealth engine ...:laugh:

Thanks Markus, and yea I was going to get the shaft turned down closer to the cover...but after doing some measuring with the short block mocked up its going to fit my build ok...with or with out the TAV. Engine plate with multiple engine slots and a jack shaft at the rear.

I'm getting closer to being done with this engine. I hope it runs .:scared:

Big Thanks to Kenny (minikenny) for all his help on this engine !
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::eek:hmy: Oh my that is amazing!!

Almost unbelievable that is the same engine you started with. :thumbsup: I guess you were up to the challenge. :wink:

Engine looks sexy OND ! You sure (minikenny) helped :laugh:
Thanks Cory....

Oh, crap! :scared: If you're entering the build-off vintage class we all just might as well quit now.:no:
That is beeee-uuuu--tiful,:thumbsup:
No worries Pete....No vintage class for me ...:no: I've got nothing worthy enough to be in that class. Thanks Pete
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::eek:hmy: Oh my that is amazing!!

Almost unbelievable that is the same engine you started with. :thumbsup: I guess you were up to the challenge. :wink:
Thanks for all your help Kenny ! :thumbsup: I owe you buddy.

...You'll like that cam, They run very well with those and still ez-pull :thumbsup:
First-off, OND that is some excellent restoration work you have achieved. I'm not familiar with HS40s at all so how significant is that cam? Also, was EZ-START available on all HS40s or just some? Mine is a mutha to pull...

First-off, OND that is some excellent restoration work you have achieved. I'm not familiar with HS40s at all so how significant is that cam? Also, was EZ-START available on all HS40s or just some? Mine is a mutha to pull...
A HS40 should not be hard to pull at all. You have got something else going on.
Michael

^Depends on where it is in the stroke. Engine runs fine it just needs to be roped-out a little then tugged. If it is not hard to pull why the compression release mechanism?

Thanks C4 and this cam design was in the earlier years of the HS40 notice the large Int. lobe with the compression release.

:thumbsup:That Engine looks Fantastic!
Thanks hebb...

A HS40 should not be hard to pull at all. You have got something else going on.
Michael
Michael is right it shouldn't be hard to pull start.....maybe out of time or something going on the the compression release.

^Depends on where it is in the stroke. Engine runs fine it just needs to be roped-out a little then tugged. If it is not hard to pull why the compression release mechanism?
Yep that's one way to do it !

Also if your valve lifter lash is to wide, you will have a hard time pulling the starter rope. The wide lash will either limit the amount the compression release works or it may not work at all giving you full compression and a very hard to pull rope start.

Danford1

Eric, I am still looking for the "challenge." :laugh: Come on man, you do these in your sleep. Nice job on the paint! Beautiful motor.

Hey, I never thought I'd read a post of anyone complaining of high compression on an HS! I cut the damn lobes off! You want to see compression, cam up a Briggs flattie. I had one that if it wasn't breaking your hand, it was breaking the rope. Had to start it with a welding glove, and a shot of liquid courage, but man did she run!

And now we need compression releases? :laugh: Again, nice job on the motor. I didn't expect anything less. :thumbsup:

Also if your valve lifter lash is to wide, you will have a hard time pulling the starter rope. The wide lash will either limit the amount the compression release works or it may not work at all giving you full compression and a very hard to pull rope start.
I always forget this on the flatheads...good Info danford !
Danford1
Eric, I am still looking for the "challenge." :laugh: Come on man, you do these in your sleep. Nice job on the paint! Beautiful motor.

Hey, I never thought I'd read a post of anyone complaining of high compression on an HS! I cut the damn lobes off! You want to see compression, cam up a Briggs flattie. I had one that if it wasn't breaking your hand, it was breaking the rope. Had to start it with a welding glove, and a shot of liquid courage, but man did she run!

And now we need compression releases? :laugh: Again, nice job on the motor. I didn't expect anything less. :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave....I've had some very good teachers ! :wink:

Nice job Eric, that motor turned out great!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Danny..