Tecumseh Internal Crank case damage

Well I decided to open up the block that came on my recent find. Some might have read the other post regarding the motor.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh-engines/77697-a.html

Knowing there was new side case nuts on the block I couldn't take it anymore I had to open it up. At first I thought well maybe someone fixed the piston and never put back together complete, because it was bolted back together then put back on the bike with clutch and chain.

Well the inside was gutted also with only the crankshaft and piston. But when I inspected the case I noticed this.

I thought about using the side plate since I have another Blower motor. But with the nick around the edge of circle area might be a problem. What do you guys think>

Damn that's a mess. The side cover might be okay if you take a fine file and clean up the nicks, and test fit everything. If it fits right it will likely be okay to use. Just my opinion.

Mess is right

I thought maybe I was only missing the outer valves. Opened it up and everything was missing. No governor No camshaft No valves. Had sleeve and piston w/rings connected to the crank. It also had the points box connected with new bolts. The bore is nice and smooth.

It was kinda a tease. Why put all new bolts and strap to bike with clutch and chain?

Given the great condition the bike is in the motor must have ended the bikes use.

I did confirm the crankshaft threads are ok. So that can be saved and used.

Do you think that oil could leak out where the rod hole is chipped on the side plate?

125ccCrazy

if the only damage is the little chips out of the baffle part of the block you will be fine to run it...I have one that was a lot worse... it looks as though the governor exploded at one time... the cover will be fine too as long as the bearing surface isn't out of round... just dress up any sharp edges with some fine sandpaper..

old-timer

Scamming Member
if the only damage is the little chips out of the baffle part of the block you will be fine to run it...I have one that was a lot worse... it looks as though the governor exploded at one time... the cover will be fine too as long as the bearing surface isn't out of round... just dress up any sharp edges with some fine sandpaper..
I have to agree,
I've rebuilt motors that were worse than that one. As long as the cylinder is in good shape, and judging from what I could see in the pics on your original thread, it looks pretty good. You should be able to rebuild it and have a nice little motor when done :shrug: The nicks in the baffle will be fine and wont cause any problems.

As 125ccCrazy said, it looks like the governor or maybe even the cam let go at some point :shrug: