Teen killed in minibike crash on Detroit's west side

Itype2slo

It's a minibike in a neighborhood not a rice burner on a freeway. High speed pursuit tactics might not have been needed. I don't know I wasn't there. But I am sure they will release the dash cam video to the public to clear any confusion. If the city fights release of the video that never looks good.:thumbsup:

The kid made the choice to run...not the cop. His stupidity alone was the cause of his death....nobody else. If a cop lights me up...I pull over....running is never an option to anyone without a reason to run.
Amen , the kid was acting a fool , the cop shut off his lights and stopped pursuit , the kid was outta control , tragic yes but no one to blame but the rider !

Just saw the news on TV...the mom plans to take "legal action"...she said he was speeding running from the cops and when he looked back he never saw the car he hit...and its the cops fault. I just love when people dont take any responsibility for their actions and blame anyone but the real person responsible... still sad tho

It is sad, all the way around. I grew-up in a Detroit suburb in the 60s. I raced with my friends on mini bikes and go karts up & down the streets. When a cop came upon us, we all pull over. No, there were no helmets then but we as individuals understood that facing the cops was indeed safer than facing our parents after they talked with the cops. So we obliged them and pushed our machines home. This was IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, not frick'n 11pm at night and not under the influence of something.

I was younger than this poor soul when I raced around but still respected my parents and the authorities. It's just the way is was back then. We had crazy times but we knew when enough was enough. Generations have changed, second time I think this year we've heard of this type of disaster.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but don't Detroit cops have real crimes to solve?
I mean Detroit is a complete shambles, I am sure there are real dangerous criminals they could go after instead.

I know riding Minibike is illegal but geez, is this a better alternative?
Gotta take em as they come. I doubt this cop stopped working on a bank hold up to chase this kid.

There seems to be a "thing" going on in the larger cities--DC and the surrounding counties have had an onslaught of quads, pocketbikes, mini dirtbikes, and modded minis running the streets at all hours in all kinds of traffic. One of the most recent incidents here was several dozen out on the 495 Beltway wreaking havoc with six lanes of traffic, and flipping off the cops trying to stop them.

But, stupid is as stupid does.....:no:
I saw at least 10 guys on dirt bikes, atv's and pocket bikes flying down the Cross Bronx Expressway at abt midnight with all their lights off. It is a thing and its boasted abt on instagram pretty regularly.

The kid made the choice to run...not the cop. His stupidity alone was the cause of his death....nobody else. If a cop lights me up...I pull over....running is never an option to anyone without a reason to run.
That is so true.
I wasn't blaming the authorities for the death, nor did I say the youth was innocent. Sounds like better judgement could have been used by both parties in this case, was just pointing that out.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but don't Detroit cops have real crimes to solve?
I mean Detroit is a complete shambles, I am sure there are real dangerous criminals they could go after instead.

I know riding Minibike is illegal but geez, is this a better alternative?
I know right! I mean, what could happen, its not like he would run into a car and get killed or something stupid like that....sigh

Just saw the news on TV...the mom plans to take "legal action"...she said he was speeding running from the cops and when he looked back he never saw the car he hit...and its the cops fault. I just love when people dont take any responsibility for their actions and blame anyone but the real person responsible... still sad tho
looking for the payday, it has been proven, it pays better to raise a thug in todays society.

We pay the police to enforce the laws.
They drive around looking for trouble, that's their job, that's what they should be doing.

Mini bikes on the street were illegal when I was a kid and I knew it, nothing has changed.
This kid and his friends chose to push the law knowing they might get the attention of the police, and they did.
Now that they have their attention he made the choice to run.
He knew the risks of running stop signs. I knew them in 1977 when I was 14.

Bottom line the police were doing their job.
Trent chose poorly and paid with his life.

We pay the police to enforce the laws.
They drive around looking for trouble, that's their job, that's what they should be doing.

Mini bikes on the street were illegal when I was a kid and I knew it, nothing has changed.
This kid and his friends chose to push the law knowing they might get the attention of the police, and they did.
Now that they have their attention he made the choice to run.
He knew the risks of running stop signs. I knew them in 1977 when I was 14.

Bottom line the police were doing their job.
Trent chose poorly and paid with his life.
I don't disagree with anything you said here ^^^
It's all completely true.
I just find it ironic that with all the troubles going on in that city (and the rest if the country for that matter), that minibike riding is so high on everyone's concern list.
And sorry didn't know you guys were such "outlaws" at such a young age. I mean listen to yourselves, this is a minibike website and I say maybe the fuzz should lay off us minibikers and I am catching crap for it?
Ok sorry I didn't know everyone here was Sonny Barger. :rolleyes:

I'll refrain from responding to such topics in the future. It's hard to pick up certain speech patterns through typing and I think sometimes I get misunderstood. It's cool though - my bad, not anyone here's fault.
I just went through a 6 month long trial that turned my life upside down because of complete fiction fabricated by a local police chief.
Many people blindly believe what police officers say or take an officer's side. I am not one of those people. I have lived with the consequences of inept police "officers" actions, thanks but I'm ok with my "both parties could have handled it better" synopsis of the situation and call it a day and get back to minibikes.

I don't disagree with anything you said here ^^^
It's all completely true.
I just find it ironic that with all the troubles going on in that city (and the rest if the country for that matter), that minibike riding is so high on everyone's concern list.
And sorry didn't know you guys were such "outlaws" at such a young age. I mean listen to yourselves, this is a minibike website and I say maybe the fuzz should lay off us minibikers and I am catching crap for it?
Ok sorry I didn't know everyone here was Sonny Barger. :rolleyes:

I'll refrain from responding to such topics in the future. It's hard to pick up certain speech patterns through typing and I think sometimes I get misunderstood. It's cool though - my bad, not anyone here's fault.
I just went through a 6 month long trial that turned my life upside down because of complete fiction fabricated by a local police chief.
Many people blindly believe what police officers say or take an officer's side. I am not one of those people. I have lived with the consequences of inept police "officers" actions, thanks but I'm ok with my "both parties could have handled it better" synopsis of the situation and call it a day and get back to minibikes.
Ture and well said .

you people are nasty and rude .
Son, and I'm making an assumption here, there's probably not one member on this forum that didn't more than a few wild hairs of up his/her behind when a teenager--probably still do. We all did stupid things, thought we were invincible, and never thought about how our actions could harm others or ourselves. In the late 70s, I spent a lot of time street racing in central Jersey, even bounced off the side of a police car once trying to disappear. Fact is, we learned a few things in our years. Another fact is standing in front of a judge was nothing, but standing in front of my parents was a whole different story. That's what's appalling...not her kid's fault.