Teeth rattling vibration on new build

I bought a Doodlebug, bought a Predator 212, got the install kit, and put it all together grinning from ear to ear. Fired that baby up and let her warm up a bit, jumped on, gave her some gas and the vibration taking off is horrible! After the clutch full engages it's just fine but taking off...............painful! Any ideas what to check guys? All the bolts to plate and to engine are tight. HELP!!!

Facts of life: ALL Predators vibrate, some more than others. If you got one that is REALLY bad (which is subjective of course) you probably got a "dud" and I would take it back and exchange it for another one. It is a tradeoff for being able to purchase a brand new engine for only $ 100.00. You could try reinforcing that puny (thin gauge) engine mounting plate that was only designed for the much lower torque of 2.5 HP., not that 6.5 HP beast you have on there now. That is what we did on both of our DBs and it did make (somewhat) of a difference. Do a search on this forum as the topic has been previously discussed many times before- there are various techniques you can read about.
Michael

I have noticed that the higher the gear ratio the more vibration.i don't weld so i put bigger mounting bolts and large flat washers underneath ..helped some.

If it is fine when clutch locks up I would think it is clutch related. Check for oil or contaminants on the bell or shoes. The RPM when it slips is a constant and lockup is only a few hundred rpm more. not enough for a bad engine vibration to disappear. Or are you saying low rpm = bad vibration high rpm = low vibration?

Bad vibration on takeoff until clutch is fully engaged. I bought the mounting kit from OldMiniBikes with the thick aluminum plate so that's not it. I did purchase another clutch and will try that. I'm a fairly big guy (250) but this is bad. Also I bought too long ago to take back.

I like where you are going Tim, he could also take chain off and just slowly rev engine looking to see if it starts vibrating and if it does see what RPM it happening, that also eliminates a chattering clutch. then it is either engine or mounting.

I have had to take clutches apart and sand inside of bell before..alot of crud..maybe initial clutch shoe wear in:shrug:

Last edited:
Some vibration on idle but not that much. I'm telling you guys when you take off it literally rattles my teeth for a few seconds. Maybe I need to just take the clutch off like you said and check it.

Wipe the belt and pulleys clean and dry. Rub baby powder on the sides of the belt, that will make it hook up smooth. This worked great for my belt drive mini dozer!

I have a flywheel that I'm certain is out of balance. I had it on two different engines, and my bike wants to rattle to pieces at certain RPMs.

Believe it or don't, I've taken it to 3 machine shops trying to get it balanced.
All 3 said the same thing, "I don't have a mandrel that'll fit it."

To which I replied to all three, "Hey, I got an idea, let's call a real machine shop!!!"

Last edited:
I've noticed the same thing on a buddy's single-speed DB-P212. I think it could be a few things:
Added stroke and bore over the Honda 196 may add some shakes.
Carb not made to pull a load through low-mid rev range.
Balance factor, also not suited for low-revs, high-load.
Light duty engine plate and chassis may be transmitting more, normal movement.

I was discussing the odd light-crank, heavy-flywheel setup with interweb pals recently too. Great for an engine that may strike an object while mowing, so the f/w can maintain momentum by key shearing, but not what the typical high-rev hotrod desires. I'm hoping to adapt a motorcycle-type full-circle crank and run a 3.5" sub-1lb f/w with a curved CDI and lighting coil. Maybe even chain-drive the cam so the engine can run "backward". leaning forward, eliminating the fan and shroud for free-breeze. Honda G400 ran cam by chain, as do a quadrillion other varieties of engine outside the ditch-pump world.

Last edited:
Umm, may sound silly but any chance the bell on the clutch is slightly bent/dinged/deformed?
Would explain teeth rattling low rpm shake. Clutch shoes riding back and forth over a high spot on the bell.
Once it is able to lock up, problem would disappear.

You say you used that pmr adjustable plate ..Try c-clamping the frame and the pmr plates together on back and front test if tight or helps.:confused:..Never heard of anyone having to run bolts all the way thru both the adjuster plate and frames plate basically using it as a riser instead of its intended purpose..unclear if it is magnifying low rpm "chatter" on take off....I'm thinking out loud..my last resort thought:surrender:... :shrug:

Not silly at all. Step 1 in the troubleshooting process here should be the clutch.
Yep..if was me I'd sit on the bike and engage clutch with brakes on a little,to scuff the shoes good.. then take it apart and clean and sand the bell..or try another clutch

Last edited:

delray

250 pounds is alot weight to run through stock OEM clutch. i would chatter too if i had to push that much weight when taking off. i have also heard of that same problem with the stock 2.5/2.8hp doodlebug bikes and seen guys replace the stock clutch's with a max clutch with just a slightly higher stall clutch. not saying this will fix your problem with your clone/honda motor.
i got couple stock doodlebugs for the kids to ride and they chatter bad when taking off with me on it(#175). but with the kids on it....not so bad. just no weight for the clutch to fight with when a #80-#100 kid on it.
you did say something about replacing the clutch soon. interesting to see what happens?

torque converter would be better...... it's just more money:laugh:$$$:doah:
goodluck.......:thumbsup: