The Best Guitarist You've (probably) Never Heard Of!

I was listening to Robin Trower again. He sounds exactly like Mark Knopfler. That's one of those voices I think sound so plain but the singer knows how to use it.

pomfish

Paul Gilbert is very good, but YingYang Malmsteen (Yngwie Malmsteen) is probably the best at the speed/dexterity thing, but this does not make him the quote
"Best guitar player"
All this is subjective, you like what you like to hear.
Now, playing with soul, that is subjective upon itself.
Some swear by BB King, some by John Bonamassa, some Eric Clapton, etc.
Shawn Lane was a natural R.I.P.
They all good, some's better :)

Later,
Keith

I was listening to Robin Trower again. He sounds exactly like Mark Knopfler. That's one of those voices I think sound so plain but the singer knows how to use it.
Well, I don't think he sounds like MK, but I think he's a good singer. Trower wouldn't sing in his younger years, but he had a fantastic vocalist in the late James Dewar. After James' passing, Trower tried using a few other vocalists, then eventually started singing, himself. Not everyone understands when I say being a great singer doesn't require a great voice (smooth, great range, etc.); the emotion I hear in the vocals is more important to me. I know Dewar's voice and I know Trower's; I have to research when I know it's neither. If you don't already have good speakers, invest in some. I listen to music on my desktop PC with a Logitech Z623 system ($100+/-) plus an additional Logitech Z-2300 subwoofer (the Z623 replaced the Z-2300; after years of hard use, something crapped out on my Z-2300 and lost the left channel; I bought the Z623 and was a bit disappointed in the subwoofer, but probably only because I'd had the Z-2300; the older sub still worked so I used a splitter to run both subs, each has its own amplifier so both are full power). With the pair of speakers on the desk, and the two subs under the desk, it rocks; 50% volume is pretty loud. At $100 (price goes up and down on Amazon), the Z623 is a great deal; the sub doesn't rattle the windows like the Z-2300 sub, but it's pretty good.

Paul Gilbert is very good, but YingYang Malmsteen (Yngwie Malmsteen) is probably the best at the speed/dexterity thing, but this does not make him the quote
"Best guitar player"
All this is subjective, you like what you like to hear.
Now, playing with soul, that is subjective upon itself.
Some swear by BB King, some by John Bonamassa, some Eric Clapton, etc.
Shawn Lane was a natural R.I.P.
They all good, some's better :)

Later,
Keith
At the beginning of this thread, I quantified Papa Chubby as "The Best Guitarist You've (probably) Never Heard Of!" Never said he, or anyone else, is the best.

Well, I don't think he sounds like MK, but I think he's a good singer. Trower wouldn't sing in his younger years, but he had a fantastic vocalist in the late James Dewar. After James' passing, Trower tried using a few other vocalists, then eventually started singing, himself. Not everyone understands when I say being a great singer doesn't require a great voice (smooth, great range, etc.); the emotion I hear in the vocals is more important to me. I know Dewar's voice and I know Trower's; I have to research when I know it's neither. If you don't already have good speakers, invest in some. I listen to music on my desktop PC with a Logitech Z623 system ($100+/-) plus an additional Logitech Z-2300 subwoofer (the Z623 replaced the Z-2300; after years of hard use, something crapped out on my Z-2300 and lost the left channel; I bought the Z623 and was a bit disappointed in the subwoofer, but probably only because I'd had the Z-2300; the older sub still worked so I used a splitter to run both subs, each has its own amplifier so both are full power). With the pair of speakers on the desk, and the two subs under the desk, it rocks; 50% volume is pretty loud. At $100 (price goes up and down on Amazon), the Z623 is a great deal; the sub doesn't rattle the windows like the Z-2300 sub, but it's pretty good.
Why can't we agree on anything?:laugh: I don't want to post Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.

I designed a speaker system from scratch a couple years ago but I never got around to making it and now my machines like sucking money. I'm rocking the SoundLogic DynaBass headphones for the time being. The quality is pretty impressive and they're only $20 on Amazon.

I have to be careful with Logitech. I've had a few of their products and they haven't treated me well. I know Logitech is a good brand but I have an omen with them.

Why can't we agree on anything?:laugh: I don't want to post Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.

I designed a speaker system from scratch a couple years ago but I never got around to making it and now my machines like sucking money. I'm rocking the SoundLogic DynaBass headphones for the time being. The quality is pretty impressive and they're only $20 on Amazon.

I have to be careful with Logitech. I've had a few of their products and they haven't treated me well. I know Logitech is a good brand but I have an omen with them.
I've had good luck with Logitech; yeah, the Z-2300 crapped out, but only after years of blasting. Been using the Z623 for 3 years. I'm using a Logitech illuminated keyboard and wireless mouse, also.

Last edited:
Yes, I've known about Papa Chubby for a while, "Stoop Down Baby" is a good one from him.
Also Robin Trower, BTO, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, it's all good, throw in that crazy Johnny Winter
and Carlos Santana for good measure.

G3 (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen) at the Ryman in Nashville was fine several years ago.
Paul Gilbert helped form a later G4 or G5 group I think.

I74

Met Mick Box & the rest of the band years ago, ''great bunch of straight up guys'' & ''very'' under rated !!!!!
Toby has a butt load of talent !!

That was amazing! It's probably been over 10 years (more than half my life) since I heard "Because the night" and she killed it with that guitar!
Yeah, she's fantastic, IMO. I was disappointed to find that much of SF's music doesn't showcase her guitar skill. Makes me wonder if she doesn't realize how good she is, or if she doesn't enjoy it, or...

I74

Yeah, she's fantastic, IMO. I was disappointed to find that much of SF's music doesn't showcase her guitar skill. Makes me wonder if she doesn't realize how good she is, or if she doesn't enjoy it, or...
Her guitar skills & playing style are epic !!
Picked up a bit of Robin Trower flair in the intro.