The Time Machine

oldfatguy

Lets say that there is a time machine and you could travel back in time and buy any mini bike that you want brand new. What would it be ?
just think the average mini bike in the late 60s sold for about 100 to 250 dollars brand new

Something fast enough to run my own happy ass down when I was asking the red headed devil out on our first date! She caused me more grief than I'd like to admit.
The woman I'm married to now is a sweetheart.

oldfatguy

Something fast enough to run my own happy ass down when I was asking the red headed devil out on our first date! She caused me more grief than I'd like to admit.
The woman I'm married to now is a sweetheart.
I guess you didn't learn anything watching married with children, you got to stay away from the red heads.

Well Sherman, I'd take the Wayback Machine back to some CRAZY RICH society hell bent on world domination, possibly early England or Spain, and just bust out my 12 gauge auto, and in the chaos of "WHAT DEE HELL's goin on here?? :eek:hmy:" Just pilfer their 80 tons of raw gold and come back and buy whatever bike I wanted, already old and priceless.. :shifty: I'm sure a Spanish Gallion loaded to the brim with gold and Rubies and stuff will STILL cover the price of any minibike around.. :laugh:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Tough one!

In the 60's I would have killed for any Mini bike! Dad had a friend get killed on a street bike when he was young' so two wheels were taboo in my house. I wasn't successful talking then into a mini until 69, when a friend of mine was selling his z50, SCORE!! I mowed a lot of lawns at $3.00 per lawn, to pay for that thing, but I couldn't be happier! But the one bike I would like to own new, would be a mini cycle, a JT1 Yamaha.

In the 60's I would have killed for any Mini bike! Dad had a friend get killed on a street bike when he was young' so two wheels were taboo in my house. I wasn't successful talking then into a mini until 69, when a friend of mine was selling his z50, SCORE!! I mowed a lot of lawns at $3.00 per lawn, to pay for that thing, but I couldn't be happier! But the one bike I would like to own new, would be a mini cycle, a JT1 Yamaha.
THREE BUCKS PER HOUR - CASH IN HAND - AS A KID - IN 69 ???? !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: That was a friggin SCORE!! in and of it'self :doah: You just need a Wayback machine for the Wayback of it... :lol:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I wish!

We had a big lawn, and I had to do the edging too. Oh ya...did I mention it was Dichondra? so weed pulling was part of the 3 bucks, so the full service was about two and a half to three hours.

We had a big lawn, and I had to do the edging too. Oh ya...did I mention it was Dichondra? so weed pulling was part of the 3 bucks, so the full service was about two and a half to three hours.
:lol: Well you're gettin screwed then.. You are a BAAD ASS lawn care guy and need a raise man... :laugh:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Well to this day....

I hate mowing lawns!!! My first real job working in a machine shop sweeping floors in 1971 only paid a buck an hour, but I saved enough to buy my first car at a buck an hour!

A brand new Allis Chalmers or Wards Gilson fully loaded or the non Bird El Tigre from penneys. Those would be my top choices for minibikes, minicycles I'd have to say a new Black Widow or Nighthawk with everything available as extras go.:thumbsup:

I just wish I had it back, it was a Powell Phantom 7 Street Legal, but we called it a shop demo and it got sold. I just wish I had even one picture of it to remember it by.
Steve :scooter:

oldfatguy

any of you guys old enough to remember seeing mini bikes for sale in stores like pennys or sears ? They would have all the different ones lined up, there were stores that just sold minibikes.I can still remember standing in Sears around 1970 , I was 10 or 11 and wanted a mini bike badly. Sears at the time right before Christmas had this mini bike it could have been a Rupp Roadster or something like it with wire wheels and headlights.I do remember that it was blue. That was my dream bike back then from the first time that I saw it, so if I could use a time machine only once it would be to go back for that one bike.

any of you guys old enough to remember seeing mini bikes for sale in stores like pennys or sears ?....
Sure. Wards, too. But I didn't think they were nearly as cool as my Lil Indian. That was the only one that appealed to me at all when I was a kid. I've got a Lil Indian just like the one I had, so if I could hop on the wayback machine w/Sherman & Mr. Peabody, I'd go searching for various motorcycles, MGs and Mustangs that I sold over the years. There are a few that I wish I hadn't sold.

I would have stocked up on Hodaka powered Bonanzas ,and Rupp Black Widows from a $$$$$ point of view. I would really just like to have another Wards T777 or Retek Cheetah in mint shape, and I would be happy.But if I had a wayback machine I would probably just go back and invest a 1000 shares in Microsoft and then I would be set for life and could have all the minibikes I wanted :thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Oh yes!

any of you guys old enough to remember seeing mini bikes for sale in stores like pennys or sears ?

J.C. Penny had a tire center, in there they sold Benell's, I lusted for a Volcano! Our in town home center sold Cat's, Sears for the most part sold their mini's out of the catalog.