The Wankel Alternative !!!!!!

I got this Carburetor from Ebay, Used on an early Wankel 303cc Artic Cat Snowmoble.
1" Throttle Bore. I would like to use it on my Briggs 5hp

Last edited:
that rotary motor sounds a little sick seems to be losing more power than making it , they are cool motors growing up i had 5 rx-7`s they were fast (poor man`s Porsche) i always wondered what it would be putting one on a mini drag bike . thats alot of power from a little motor. cool video`s

Agreed, I have an arctic cat wankel 303 I was going to use on my Super bronc at first but decided it wasnt worth it. They sound nice at idle but when reved up they sound like they're sick, Its normal for a wankel plus internal parts are next to impossible to find and they dont usually last too long. Nice videos tho and props to the builder! :thumbsup:

tomsprops

Is that motor a 2stroke or a 4stroke design ? What is the HP rating on these as well ? How many rotors are in the engine ? I think it's cool !

i only knew of the rotary motors being regular gas running engines , i can`t say stroke because there is no piston s in the motor they use a three sided spinning rotor (hence the name rotary engine) i know the ones they use now for kart racing, fly, around 50hp and weight around 35lbs and around $3500-$4000 .

tomsprops

I know a little about rotary design . I've just never seen one of these little ones. I guess if it's a twin rotar design it would be a 6cyl. Mini ! I just wasn't sure about 2 or 4 stroke because so many snow mobiles are 2 stroke .It sure is a great looking motor but I don't know if it's $$$$$$ that great looking ? But 50hp ! Sure is pretty !

Wikipedia says it is a four stroke:

"The Wankel engine is a type of internal combustion engine which uses a rotary design to convert pressure into a rotating motion instead of using reciprocating pistons. Its four-stroke cycle is generally generated in a space between the inside of an oval-like epitrochoid-shaped housing and a roughly triangular rotor."

Wankel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So do some other sources:

http://www.answers.com/topic/wankel-engine

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm/printable

Last edited:
I would like to see one of these:

"Perhaps the most exotic use of the Wankel design is in the seat belt pretensioner system of the Volkswagen New Beetle. In this car, when deceleration sensors sense a potential crash, small explosive cartridges are triggered electrically and the resulting pressurized gas feeds into tiny Wankel engines which rotate to take up the slack in the seat belt systems, anchoring the driver and passengers firmly in the seat before any collision."

Wankel engine - WOI Encyclopedia Italia

I would like to see one of these:

"Perhaps the most exotic use of the Wankel design is in the seat belt pretensioner system of the Volkswagen New Beetle. In this car, when deceleration sensors sense a potential crash, small explosive cartridges are triggered electrically and the resulting pressurized gas feeds into tiny Wankel engines which rotate to take up the slack in the seat belt systems, anchoring the driver and passengers firmly in the seat before any collision."

Wankel engine - WOI Encyclopedia Italia
Yeah the new beetle could use a few more reliable gadgets, but where will they put the flower?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Man that thing is slow, not even in the same ball park as a wankel.
The guy riding it can't be any more than 150 lbs soaking wet. With that extra short wheel base with any real power he should have been on the ground. The motor doesn't rev up high, or smooth. It's gonna guess and say the motor maybe be making about 15hp at most. :thumbdown:

As they say in Australia,,, what a "wanker". :001_tt2:

The mini in the vid doesn't look any faster than a 5HP Briggs and those type burnouts are soooooo lame.. :eek:ut:

The fake Honda looks cool though.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
As they say in Australia,,, what a "wanker". :001_tt2:

The mini in the vid doesn't look any faster than a 5HP Briggs and those type burnouts are soooooo lame.. :eek:ut:

The fake Honda looks cool though.
Right, my minibike burns rubber if I put a 120 lb guy on it. Then it hooks up and jumps right from under the guy. 5 feet into the air about 15 feet away. So the guy has to give it 1/2 throttle, then full throttle after about a 20 feet roll out.:scooter:

Well there sure seems to be a lot of hating on a guy who just posted something a little different for us all to check out and enjoy. Who's to say what's "cool" or not especially regarding how fast it is or isn't and what kind of burnout is acceptable? We're all a bunch of adults playing with half retarded old mini scooters that most other folks would laugh at us just to see us riding/wasting time and money on. I appreciate the unique motor, and the history of all these bikes. Bottom line, if he's having fun, and not hurting you in the process, then keep the judgements to yourselves and enjoy your own bikes, and other's for thier differences.

Personally, I grew up street racing riding shotgun with my Dad in his built and torbocharged RX-7 and that little car was a RIPPER. I'd love to lay hands on one of these old Sachs motors just to play with it.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well there sure seems to be a lot of hating on a guy who just posted something a little different for us all to check out and enjoy. Who's to say what's "cool" or not especially regarding how fast it is or isn't and what kind of burnout is acceptable? We're all a bunch of adults playing with half retarded old mini scooters that most other folks would laugh at us just to see us riding/wasting time and money on. I appreciate the unique motor, and the history of all these bikes. Bottom line, if he's having fun, and not hurting you in the process, then keep the judgements to yourselves and enjoy your own bikes, and other's for thier differences.

Personally, I grew up street racing riding shotgun with my Dad in his built and torbocharged RX-7 and that little car was a RIPPER. I'd love to lay hands on one of these old Sachs motors just to play with it.
I like the motor, but not the bike.
If it was mine it would be tuned properly, and on a long wheelbase safer frame.

Things on this site are made to be judge, and commented on . Not everyone likes my bikes, but I don't care as long as I have fun on it.

I'm looking at the video as a performance swap. The whole idea of this swap the guy did was to have cheap bolt on power. He would have been doing just the same or better with a stock 6.5hp clone with the govenor removed and pipe.