There is no section for this! 2 cylinder 2 stroke

CarPlayLB

I just received my eBay special. This is a Power Products Model 300 opposed twin 2 stroke. It has a steel cable pull start and a top mounted tank. I have not seen a lot of these around. This one is very complete, has great compression, although I have yet to test for spark. If it has no spark, I may be in trouble! It has a cast aluminum base and "2 into 1" exhaust.
I soon as I become solvent again, and I finish my current build, I think I am going to see if I can get this into a Taco Frijole frame...what do you guys think?

KB2ROCKET

These are interesting engines and the vintage kart guys dont fancy them so the price on these is reasonable .. if you get it running leave it stock and enjoy it as they really are not suited for mods. Nice find cant wait to see how you intend on shoehoring that in a mini frame enjoy

If I am not mistaken that engine comes from the same line that eventually lead up too the tecumseh uniblock engines originally designed by Lauson power products.

Lauson made GREAT engines and tecumseh ruined that legacy lol.

Now If I recall that engine like the others in the series has aluminum rods and bronze bushings.
This means it would be a really bad idea to try and hodrod it.
But its still a great engines.
Opposed twin loopers like this scavenge great at low speed.
They make great torque and run very very smooth.

Lauson made marin engines.
Thats probably where this design came from.
Chum of mine was working for a company that was renovating the original lauson engineering building.
There he found a 3 cylinder radial air cooled in pieces up in an attic.
A prototype for something that never was but it just goes to who you haw many things Lauson tried to do with this engine

I wish I had that for a project man!

CarPlayLB

Thanks guys. I have no plans to hot rod this one...I just hope it will stay together for a while, I think any replacement parts will be hard to come by!

Thanks guys. I have no plans to hot rod this one...I just hope it will stay together for a while, I think any replacement parts will be hard to come by!
You know now that I look at it.
I think its made from AH parts and not a uniblock.
Crank will be hard to get but if its AH the rods and rings ect should be around as NOS in some Ebay auctions

Sent some pictures of that to my father.

He says .....

"Mercury (Kiekhaufer) made a similar engine and it was used on water pumps, chainsaws and later on their snowmobiles ---- they used to rotate the stator plate and get them to run backwards for reverse on the snowmobiles

They did the same thing for reverse on there outboards for a number of years ---- no neutral --- start them up and go forward or back up

Could be used for a water pump by the dept of lands and forests for fighting fires in remote areas. There was also military applications for small generators and also water pumps.

Too much power for a washing machine!!! ---- unless you wanted a high speed machine on the farm!!

Dad "

Up here in Canada no one had sold a 2 stroke like these .
Wash machines were 4 stroke ( powered by the Johnson Iron horse )
Military radio set generators were also powered by the Johnson and sent to allied countries.
These were not the same as the American johnson though up here that engine was bored and stroked and configured to its load.

I can't figure it out myself but I am leaning to fire pump as Dad says, but in the USA there was a taste for 2 strokes

Last edited:
Yeah I could see it being a water pump... :mellow:

Yeah hell man thats just an AH motor.. Just older and still built by Lauson.. I don't see why parts are hard to find.. You have a crankshaft, recoil housing, and that funky fresh gas tank.. :laugh:

The rest is easy.. That stuff is everywhere... EVEN IF it came all the way down to needing a magneto setup for it, you can ALWAYS just take two coils off from two one cylinder mags, and rebuild yours..

I can't imagine there is anything non Lauson Tecumseh standard parts about it, except the VERY PARTS that make it two cylinders... :shrug:

I can look at the pics and know for a fact it will run just fine with enough doing..

Yeah I could see it being a water pump... :mellow:

Yeah hell man thats just an AH motor.. Just older and still built by Lauson.. I don't see why parts are hard to find.. You have a crankshaft, recoil housing, and that funky fresh gas tank.. :laugh:

The rest is easy.. That stuff is everywhere... EVEN IF it came all the way down to needing a magneto setup for it, you can ALWAYS just take two coils off from two one cylinder mags, and rebuild yours..

I can't imagine there is anything non Lauson Tecumseh standard parts about it, except the VERY PARTS that make it two cylinders... :shrug:

I can look at the pics and know for a fact it will run just fine with enough doing..
Before Tecumseh fooked them all up Lauson was a maker of premium engines like a Onan or Kohler.
They also made outboards.
I think you will find there is a lot of the outboard heritage in that little twin.

CarPlayLB

Is that the one I've been staring at on ebay for the past six months? Interested in seeing how well it works.
No Dave, this is a different one. I know of the one you are talking about...been watching it myself. This was from a different seller. It always kind of turns me off when in the description they seem a bit snippy...I typically pass on those sellers...and I think he is one of them...idk...could be wrong