Tillotson Carbs for Honda GX200/Clones

What Tillotson carbs are you guys running on your mildly modded GX200/Clones? I'm meaning with the governor removed, billet flywheel, billet con. rod, mild cam, 18lbs springs, high- comp. head, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

What Tillotson carbs are you guys running on your mildly modded GX200/Clones? I'm meaning with the governor removed, billet flywheel, billet con. rod, mild cam, 18lbs springs, high- comp. head, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
None Anymore.
You are considering a race carb.
And you might be disappointed to discover it can only race...

It has been pointed out that EC carbs could possibly build something better than an off the self solution using a WX carb body and some custom drilling.

Before you go there i might consider an older " On the Shelf " solution such as an HL 210 off a 12 HP Rotax.
It might deliver more fuel where you need it and the high side has a proper fuel delivery nozzle ( something that is deleted in many race carbs ).

My personal opinion is that you are better off with a carb that has intact air bleed circuits in both the high and low side for something you just plan on driving more than race.
Carbs like this tend to have better low speed fuel atomization and just run better...

A good example of this is the GX390 carb.
Lots of people have very good results with this because its a great design and well behaved...
The trade off will still be some issues with low speed performance and throttle response but I think you are better off sticking with an small engine carb on a small engine...

There is also and always the option of the walbro PZ22.
I don't really like this carb myself.
For reasons that are very long winded I will just say its better than tillotson, but does not lend itself well to the beating and shaking they get on hard tail minibikes.

I was about to post this as a great thing yo read....
But Since I began emailing Brian Miller and not hearing anything back I don't expect he is too interested in minibikes...
Further more a lot of very useful and interesting information of emulsion tubes has been removed...
This is sad, because information is really what you want when it comes to these small engines and carbs.
Brian Miller's Carburetor and Fuel System Parts and Machine Shop Services
On the up side one of the engineers ar Walbro emailed complete blue prints and technical draws for the carbs that might be of interest in this application.

I just have not got the time right now to build Walbro carbs and test some theories...

Added:

Found all the interesting stuff on another page.
It was not deleted
http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm#removemainjet/nozzle

Last edited:
Thanks Yoop. And thanks NOS, you have taught me a lot about these carbs so I will be able to make an educated carb choice. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I just thought of something.
I forgot to mention the one HL series that does work pretty well right out of the box.
That is the HL 166.
The only downside is its not actually any bigger than a stock clone carb.
It may flow a bit more, and it does tune easy with a good clean idle.

But it ain't gonna win any races.
Its just a nice carb to work on...

Okay, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. The HL166 should still be better then a stock clone carb because of the adjustability. I am not a fan of drilling jets all the time, that's why I haven't ran a Mikuni, even though I have one or two.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. The HL166 should still be better then a stock clone carb because of the adjustability. I am not a fan of drilling jets all the time, that's why I haven't ran a Mikuni, even though I have one or two.

Yes but it does not fit on anything....
Take a little ride on the way back machine with me boy and see one of my early experiments that lead down the path to the big tillotson racing carbs.

Oh I see. There isn't a manifold available to fit the HL166 on the Honda/Clone.

Nope.
You have to make one.....

Every now and then that manifold in the picture crops up, as does that carb.
Last I heard they were somewhere in the North eastern USA.

I would like to know who has them now and how it all turned out to be honest lol.

I know it worked.....
I probably should have never abandoned the project.
Trouble was that engine was a dud I made out of scrap parts.
I was never happy with it because of the heavy vibration....

Long lost video shows that thing shaking like an atomic jack hammer.
The carb was fine though....

I scrapped the engine because the only one that liked it was Mrs NOS and I was jealous...