Today's Free-be

I noticed a 3 wheeler sitting by a friend of my daughter's house a while back. Not looking closely, I figured it was a Kawasaki or Yamaha with a 5hp Briggs. i noticed a TAV cover also. I told her to ask them if they would sell it and they said I could have it if I wanted it. FREE!! All I wanted was the engine and TAV for a mini. I really didn't need the 3 wheeler because I have a couple of Hondas. They brought it over this evening and after I got a better look, it kind of looked factory built. The 5hp turned into 7 or 8 too. It even had electric start :confused: After I looked it over I found the sticker near the steering head Manco Products. FREE!! It's well used and dirty, but the seat, plastic,and tires are good . The engine isn't stuck and the band brake on the rear is good. The chain and TAV are still there. The frame hasn't been hacked or anything. Too dark for pics now, but I'll post some tomorrow.

Normally my luck isn't quite that good. I was actually expecting a butchered up Kawi or Yamaha with a blown Briggs and nothing under the TAV cover. It never hurts to ask. Just head out to the country and hit the backroads. You might be suprised at what's sitting around. Or move to the country and it's everywhere.:thumbsup:

Pics tomorrow. It also has a headlight, but it's broken. BUT it looks like a regular halogen rectangle car headlight. It has been stripped of the wiring, but the solenoid, etc. are still there. No problem rewiring, as all it has is a starter and headlight.

Last edited:
Here's a pic to hold you til tomorrow. Not mine but looks mighty fast. Looks like a CB750 four stuffed in there.Maybe only a 550 :eek:ut:

Here's pics after a pressure washimg to remove days gone by. The engine is not 7 or 8hp, it's a 10HP. The TAV is not a TAV, but a jackshaft mounted setup. Not sure what series, but symetrical with a 7/8 or 1" belt. I'll have to do somwe ,easuring on that and get a new belt. It may have came originally with a Tecumseh, but I haven't looked into that. The starter is bad, but I have another. It has dual band brakes, both are operated by hand or foot. Seems pretty solid all around. The tires are Carlisle 21X12X8. Same size as the Super Broncs I believe. They're in good shape and not cracked. The seat isn't as good as it looked, but easily fixable.. It looks like it was originally sky blue, then camo, then black. At least the paint isn't too thick. The pressure washer stripped a lot of the front fender. The frame will get stripped and painted. The plastic will get light sanding then steel wool back down to the blue, then clear coated. The rims will get blasted and primed, then painted with steel wheel paint or some silver pearl laced clear coat.I plan to put the starter on later today , and try to fire the engine up. Then I'll turn my boy loose on it for disassembly. My original plan was to hack it and rob the engine and drive for a mini, but after I got it home, all that changed. This will get a resto, and one of the Hondas will get the hack.:hack::grind::weld:

It fired up. I put a starter off a free-be riding mower on it, cleaned the coil and flywheel magnet and poured some gas in the carb. I hooked my jumper cables to the starter and away it went, no smoke/knocks. I don't think it has many hours, because the footpegs look like new. The seat is dry rotting, but didn't have any wear. The tires even have 90 percent of the tread. I'll probably use the carb from the mower since I have ran and used it and know it to be good. I have no idea how I get all this free stuff. I never met this guy in my life. I waved at him once. I guess it because on my off days, I run around in greasy jeans and a tattered t shirt, have old grey/brown hair nearly to my a** and a big scraggly beard with paint or grease or both, and cruise in my '65 volvo 544 , primered gray, black, and red oxide., not in any particular pattern. I guess I look poor and stupid. This is one time profiling pays off.:thumbsup: If this motor hadn't fired, I was going to use the one from a free-be side by side Onan generator.:wink:
I did notice something I didn't like. Manco did the same thing the lawnmower companies did. They painted bare metal, unprimed. That kind of baked finish that pull off in big sheets.:doah:

Last edited:
Jim : That driver half of the torque converter looks like a Comet 40 series and it would be a symmetrical type from the back it looks like it uses the stock 7/8 inch wide belt. Your one lucky guy.
Steve :scooter:

Coop

Nice find, amazing what people sometimes give away. I got this for free earlier this week, I inquired about buying it, owner said get it out of there and it's yours.

Coop

delray

nice find jimh:thumbsup:maybe if the engine is original you can get close to the year it was built. 21inch tires and black tecumseh would maybe tell me it would be late 70's or 80's ? engine tag will give the year:thumbsup:

It's a 10HP Briggs I/C with alternator, but I really don't know if it's original. They made them with 8 and 10hp. Either way, this engine is going to stay for now. It sounds pretty strong. The throttle setup was unbolted and governor unhooked, but I bolted all that back up and hooked the governor back up, with too strong of a spring and it revs way too quick as is. I'll have to change the spring. I want it governed so my daughter can ride, without running over things or throwing a rod.The Manco tag with the serial # was still on the frame. They're still in business, but under a different name, I think. I may contact them and try to get some info.The belt that was on it was too wide and a little short. I'll have to measure the center to center of the shafts and get the right belt. Just guessing I'd say it's early 80s to mid 80s model at the latest. I like the way the body attaches. The seat base has 4 long studs that attach it and the plastic to the frame. None of that looking for all the bolts like my Hondas:doah:
Coop, I think you may have scored a better deal than me. I think a lot of people are mechanically DECLINED, and see a couple of parts off and think it's tore up. Better to give it away than let it set around going to waste.:thumbsup:
I'm working on the Bonanza Chopper now, so progress may be slow, but I want to have it done soon. The temps have been in the 70s, so I'm trying to paint a lot of parts and frames, while I have the warm temps.