tomorrow is Veterans Day

With all the negatives on here lately, I was thinking about something much more uplifting and worthwhile. Tomorrow being Veterans Day, I hope we all reflect on what so many men and women have given to us. There are so many times I have thought about the freedoms we have, and yet I seem to forget about the sacrifices that were made for those freedoms. Those sacrifices are sometimes hidden for many years after their return from war. I speak from personal experience, with the issues my dad has gone through his entire life. He has never gotten rid of night sweats, horrific dreams, and bouts of nervousness, but still remains to this day, an upbeat, lovable father and respected man in the community. He is 96 yrs old and still lives on his own farm with my mother who is 92. Another person I think about often is my neighbor who is a Vietnam vet who lost both is leg and arm in combat and lives nearby (3 miles). He has a story to tell that will make the room totally quiet, and your eyes will well up. Never claiming to be a hero, but always telling the crowd the real heroes are the ones who never came back alive.
I hope there is someone in your lives that has served that you can thank when you see them, or to those on here who have served, I say a Thank You to you. I know many who have served during wartime, have things that they will not discuss, or want to talk about. I do respect that and always think that if that is how you want it to be, you have earned that right. So thinking along that line, the song with the words "All gave some, some gave all" means a lot to me and I hope to you too. Thank you

A couple pics of my Dad and Mom, one on their Ranger and one at the Veterans Memorial in our little town where they are sitting on the bench given in his honor. The other is my neighbor sitting on my Fox Campus laughing because he is giving me a hard time about what I paid for mine, compared to the one he bought new in the 60's.

I am a Vet but I never feel like I am even close to the caliber of sacrifice that the ground troops were faced with. Being on the big CVA Air Craft Carriers Kitty Hawk and Constellation down in the boiler room, I know we did our part but I never felt in harms way. I feel very fortunate to be able to use the veterans for my medical services and they have done great by me. I see so many up at the main hospital that it is very evident that they gave so much more.
My Father was a vet in the navy also, and was also in the boiler rooms of the USS Phillip's and the USS Indianapolis's
Steve :scooter:

I am a Vet but I never feel like I am even close to the caliber of sacrifice that the ground troops were faced with. Being on the big CVA Air Craft Carriers Kitty Hawk and Constellation down in the boiler room, I know we did our part but I never felt in harms way. I feel very fortunate to be able to use the veterans for my medical services and they have done great by me. I see so many up at the main hospital that it is very evident that they gave so much more.
My Father was a vet in the navy also, and was also in the boiler rooms of the USS Phillip's and the USS Indianapolis's
To me your caliber of sacrifice is greater than you might imagine. You offered to write me an unlimited check when you joined the Navy, a check cashable for an amount up to and including your life. The fact you did not die serving is the same miracle I appreciate about my brother's 30 year stint in the Navy. The fact you served at all, is honored and respected just as highly at my house, no matter what branch you served in, or when, or for how long, or what jobs you performed while there.

That your father served as well, only means at my house we would rise and stand in respect for him first, before giving you the same respect, because he is older. My freedom is the most prized thing I have, you offered to defend it, and I use it daily with greatest respect for those that have and do insure it for me.

Happy Veteran's Day, to Steve and all the Veterans here. Thank you for my Freedom.

Jon

I am a peacetime VET (AF) and both of my sons are war time vets (AF) and both have seen numerous tours and I am so proud of the young men they grew up to be and their willingness to sacrifice for the love of country.
I salute any and all VETS, no matter the branch, its a sacrifice not all choose to make.

rmm727

I was in the National Guard for 6 years. I was never deployed but members of my unit went to Bosnia and Kosovo while I was in. Shortly after I ETS'd, they were deployed to Iraq. I was only ever activated to go to Hurricane Katrina and Rita relief. Some many others have given so much more to our country. Support them this Veteran's Day.

I did 4yrs USAF and 18 NY Airguard, never in war theater but back filled many state side bases. Spent time in NY 911 and did many years in Greenland supporting National Science Foundation.Thanks to all who serve and served.:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

Our troops in Afghanistan need your support now, The post office will provide a special flat rate box for 14.00 so that you can mail food items and such to a soldier that you know. Those packages from home really mean a lot to them and are greatly appreciated. This is something simple that everyone can do to make a difference for the people serving in that dismal place

We were soldiers once.....and young.

To all veterans and active military, I salute you. I was a combat medic US Army 1966-68. Most of us were only 19 or 20 at the time. I often think of those who didn't make it home.

Mac

Had my free "all you can eat" pancakes at Denny's Diner this morning.
Shame being diabetic, Sugar Free syrup just doesn't quite hit the spot.

Thank You to all who served, Whenever, Wherever.

Co A 293rd Engineer Bn.
Baumholder, Germany 1972 - 75

I have a nephew who is serving now kind of a weird youngster. Went into the US Marines for 21/2 years got out tied college for a while got married and then went into the US Air Force did a tour to Arrack and finished his 4 years in college and up and changed to the US Army as an officer and is now a Communications Captain and will soon be a Major. My plan is to see if Mark Durham is man enough to become a United States Naval Officer.
I am so proud of him I just wish his Father was alive to see his accomplishments.
:boat: