Torque Converter question

capguncowboy

These are kind of new to me. I figured out the TAV30 I had on my Bird Romper, and then traded the Romper for an MTD/Columbia mini. It's slipping and I thought I'd take a look at it. It's entirely a different design. I'm not even sure it's a Comet.

I think part of the problem (maybe all of the problem) is the belt is wrong.

I know I'm supposed to be able to measure this from center to center to get the appropriate belt size (yes, my tape has googly eyes on it. My kids put them there. I like them. Deal with it).

What belt size should I be using?

Any one have any suggestions for getting the clutch off? It doesn't want to budge.

it looks like the same setup on my rupp,like almost identical.
( keeping in mind i know nothing about vintage bikes )
maybe a rupp belt size?
btw,hope you have a Cover for that clutch it Will Eat your leg.

that clutch tho,be careful theres not a lot to put pullers on there without something breaking..

It is a Fairbanks Morse set up. It was used after the V-plex system and before the Comet. F&M supplied Rupp with the clutches and the only difference was the "Rupp" stamp on it. So..that being said...the Rupp belt should work. But just double check the measurements before you buy one.

capguncowboy

How do I measure it for the Rupp belt? It's 8.5" from center to center.

Ludicrous, I do have the cover. That thing looks like a neat grinder.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

How do I measure it for the Rupp belt? It's 8.5" from center to center
Anyone? I take it that it's a 5/8" belt, but I'm not sure which one is for Rupp. I found some on Ebay, but they're 27-29" -- that seems like it might work.

I took a 1/4" rope and ran it around the pulleys and got 26". I know it sits further down in the pulleys, so a longer belt would be good, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I drop $35-40 on a belt.

Thanks!

See if you can find a Motion Industries store near your area , best choice for any moving parts , belts , bearings ,bushings you name it and way cheaper too !

capguncowboy

See if you can find a Motion Industries store near your area , best choice for any moving parts , belts , bearings ,bushings you name it and way cheaper too !
There is one nearby actually. I called them and they said they don't have any belts in stock but could order one if I knew the item number. So that puts me back at 0.

I found a chart that shows what belts should work with this one. I'm going to give a 200423A a shot and see where that lands me.

I appreciate everyone's help and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!