Torque converter too much torque

Hey everyone, I a knockoff tav-2 for my 6.5hp db30. Honestly, as soon as I touch the throttle a little more than 1/4 in of a turn, it pulls my front end up like its going out of style. Is there anyway to reduce the torque, even just by a little bit? Thanks a bunch

2SlickNick

I am about to add a TC on my doodle and will probably have the same problem.
You can put on smaller axle sprocket, larger JS sprocket and maybe adjust the driven to the flat ground setting of spring tension.

Okay, What different spring do I buy? I have a red one right now. Also, literally 5 minutes of riding, my belt fell apart. The string between the two seams came out. Could this be a crappy belt, or an improper setup? Can anyone send me a link of how to put it on properly?

Your driven and driver pulleys need to be aligned or that can cause excessive wear......or so Iv'e read! I have a Tav 2 on a mini bike and a go kart with no belt problems

I will be posting pictures of the driven today. But can anyone tell me what belt to buy with this description? The link is also at the bottom, thanks

Go Kart Torque Converter, #40/41 or #35 Gear included. Driver Unit is 3/4" Bore- Replaces TAV 2 and Manco 5957, Comet 219552, Yerf Dog Q43201W, for 3/4" Belt Asymmetrical Type, 1200 to 3100 rpm engagement. 8hp max. Very nice quality as pictured. Driven Unit is 5/8" Bore- Replaces TORQ-A-VERTER (TAV) 30 Series and Manco 5958, Comet 219456, 217610A, for 3/4" Belt Asymmetrical Type, 1200 to 3100 rpm engagement. 8hp max. Jackshaft is 5/8" X 6-1/2" with step to 17mm, 2-1/2" from end, 3/16" Key, Bolts, Nut, Spacer, washers, Snap Ring, #40/41 or #35 Gear included, get it right, either 3/8" spacing or 1/2" center to center on the chain links. As with all my auctions items are also for sale locally and subject to prior sale.Go Kart Torque Converter, #40/41 or #35 Gear included. Driver Unit is 3/4" Bore- Replaces TAV 2 and Manco 5957, Comet 219552, Yerf Dog Q43201W, for 3/4" Belt Asymmetrical Type, 1200 to 3100 rpm engagement. 8hp max. Very nice quality as pictured. Driven Unit is 5/8" Bore- Replaces TORQ-A-VERTER (TAV) 30 Series and Manco 5958, Comet 219456, 217610A, for 3/4" Belt Asymmetrical Type, 1200 to 3100 rpm engagement. 8hp max. Jackshaft is 5/8" X 6-1/2" with step to 17mm, 2-1/2" from end, 3/16" Key, Bolts, Nut, Spacer, washers, Snap Ring, #40/41 or #35 Gear included, get it right, either 3/8" spacing or 1/2" center to center on the chain links. As with all my auctions items are also for sale locally and subject to prior sale.

Torque Converter Kit CVT 3 4" for 40 41 or 35 Gear No Returns See Listing | eBay

Yeah, ill post pictures of my alignment soon, the bike is at my friend house. Also, when I was putting on my belt, it seemed tough, some videos ive watched people have just slid them on no effort. Here is an example, go to 4:50 minutes...
That's how hard it was to put on the belt. Also, how can you tell which side of the belt faces the engine? Both sides of my belt looked the same and felt the same, and didn't indicate which side to put up. Lastly, my driven pully moves on the shaft, im not sure if anyone knows why this is, but it doesnt seem right! Ill post a picture of this as well, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfbGCZTqtU

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Any TC I've put a belt on, loop it over the front, half loop it on the back, and roll the bike backwards and the belt pops on. Reverse to take it off. Takes all of 5 seconds with no grunting or effort.

If your belt is the same on both sides you have the wrong belt. Belt should be like this |_/ Flat on one side angled on the other. The flat side goes towards the motor.

Last edited:
About these torque converters... I've read they are designed for a max rpm of 3100 per Comets website on the 30 series. So what happens when you have the governor removed and you spin it to 5500+ rpms? Will it just slip the belt and burn it up or will it come apart?

toomanytoys

3600RPM should be the max. I've spun my 30 series up to 4200 RPM on an HM80 Tecumseh.

Not sure what would happen if you really spun it out hard. Probably fail the belt pretty quick.