Totegote Model 303 Collegiate - Was it street legal?

bwt

The history on this bike shows it was built for college students to ride to campuses in the early sixties. Was it street legal then? I have an opportunity to buy one of these, but I would only buy it if I new I could title it and drive it on the street.

These old photos show the collegiate had a headlight and possibly a tail light. They ran from a battery pack under the seat. The brake was a foot operated disc on the rear only. Maybe you could put antique plates on it.

Motra

The "tilt-a-whirl" ride in the second pic is still in operation there at Lagoon. It made me so sick the last time I rode it I could hardly walk.

some of those kiddie rides are the worst....I been on some of the wildest roller coasters and thrill rides with no problem....

sat in one of those tea cups at Disney Land with my kids and almost puked my guts out...:doah:

bwt

I appreciate your replies, but the question remains: Can this bike be made street legal? It appears to have a plate mounted on the frame showing the model number and a 3 or 4 digit serial number, but no VIN number. Can the serial number be used in place of a VIN number when registering the bike?

I suggest that you check with the authorities in your state. I know in some states you are required to have brakes on both wheels.

Best bet is to walk in there and register it, don't ask. Do your homework in your state first. What was required in 1963? not today's regs.

All states are different, in Georgia small scooter 50cc ( yeah those chinese things) don't need tags or a motorcycle license to operate on the street think same in Florida so those Collegiate may be legal best to check with your stateDMV. Also here you can apply for a VIN # on a item homemade. No matter what if I saw one available in Ga I snatch it in a second if the price is right as they are Veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy Cool. :scooter:

motocycle

Street Legal

The history on this bike shows it was built for college students to ride to campuses in the early sixties. Was it street legal then? I have an opportunity to buy one of these, but I would only buy it if I new I could title it and drive it on the street.
The term Street Legal, means different things to different States or municipalities.

I was a dealer and a Notary for years; and saw many weird things. I'll will just stick with Pennsylvania (as I don't know the laws of other states, and even PA laws can be interpreted in strange ways).

In Pa you first need a title or even before that a MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). For instance a new motorcycle comes to a dealer from say Yamaha; with a MSO. The dealer then applies for a title when the bike is sold, he doesn't have to, if the owner is never going to title it or ever put it on the road. This is where it gets touchy: The sales tax has to be paid. So a title should be applied for.

But not always :
This can only happen if the buyer is a dealer and just buys it for stock, or just keeps it for his own . That bike may never get a title, if it is never sold to a consumer. Years may pass, maybe decades, no title.

Now just the opposite scenario. And probably years ago, before the computer age. Any bike or I guess a mini, that came in with a MSO could get a title, if the buyer wanted to pay the extra title fee. Nobody ever wanted to pay more.

With that title, technically you could get a license plate, maybe. I have seen it done. I actually saw titles and license plates on a Tote Gote (w/lights), several vintage motocross bikes that had a lighting kit installed. Were they Street Legal; NO Way.

Yes they had a title, but would never pass motor vehicle code. This does NOT apply to all States, so Is It Street Legal' Maybe Yes-Maybe NO