Trail Horse GTO RestoMod...

If you decide you really hate the sweet exhaust pipe you made, can I have first dibs on it?

BTW the build looks sweet:thumbsup:
Yeah...that pipe might look better with a support running up to the frame instead of all the way to the head.

It's a lot quieter than the new one...

I think I'll make a twisted header and see how it looks...

Like this one I fabbed for a Honda GC, except straight...maybe flare the end like a bugle.

im in the middle of a trailhorse restoration myself been trying to figure out how to make my own tensioner any ideas?

I saw a really nice one in another project thread...clean and simple, but well thought out and well made...can't remember which thread it was...I read them all.

I haven't given much thought to a tensioner for this bike...I want to use the existing jackshaft mounts, so I fabbed two adjustable bearing hangers...

Drawing transfered to steel plate...

Plates cut, drilled and finished with a carbide rotary file...

I use a staight edge to align the sprockets...

The shaft is still just 5/8" round steel rod...I haven't milled the keyway yet...it won't need to be a full length keyway...the sprockets are on the same side so I can still use the band brake mount I redid earlier...

Last edited:
I want the sprockets perfectly aligned so I can sleeve the shaft and protect it from corrosion...the sleeve also keeps the sprockets in place.

Left bearing hanger is outside the frame mount because I needed room inside for the sprocket and sleeve...

Right bearing hanger is inside the frame mount because I didn't need room on this side...

Blue engine is a Briggs 3hp I'm rebuilding for the next project...Sensation MB-6...I'll probably change the color to dark green metallic.

...and I bought a new magneto for the other 5hp...notice the black tape covering some chew-through on the old plug wire.

Piece of 1.5" OD aluminum round solid bar culled from the scrap bin...

Turned down to match the bevel OD on a Comet clutch...

Back side is recessed to clear the end of the crank protruding through the clutch...

A little more attractive than a fender washer, and they're virtually free since I make them from scrap...

It's a stupid amount of work to shape the beads on these twisted tubes...

I finished the front half and stuck the bell on the back to see if it looked like it would be worth finishing...

I'm thinking 'no'...

Simpler seems to be better when it comes to exhaust pipes...

Your twisted frames/exhausts are works of art, is this case I think less is more.

But maybe if you don't twist it so much, instead like just do a 180* twist just a slight curl, I think is would add a nice bit of decoration with out being obnoxious.

I need to go out to midwestx's shop to use one of his vert mills to machine a keyway in that jackshaft I fabbed, so I thought I'd get some other stuff ready to go also...

Sensation MB-6...sprocket is welded to the plain steel rear wheel and the teeth are shot...

Just for fun, I went after the sprocket with a carbide rotary file, but the pitch was ruined long before the teeth cleaned up...

I cut the old sprocket off the wheel with an angle grinder and cutting blade...

I turned the weld off the hub in a lathe...

New sprocket will be TIG'd into place after boring to fit hub and milled for access to the wheel...

Ready for the blast cabinet...

Making some clutch retainers for countersunk machine screws...

It's dull stuff, but I've had clutches come loose, walk out along the crank, and snap the shaft completely off...

Countersunk seems to be a better configuration than buttonhead...

The smoother profile would be less damaging to ankles, since I don't make clutch covers...

That piece of scrap aluminum was enough to make five retainers...I only need two, so I have three extra...PM me if you want one...I'll mail it to you for free, with a matching screw...

Fits Comet clutches perfectly...too large an OD for Hilliard clutches, but I'll be making some for Hilliard later and will have extras...

I don't know the OD needed for MaxTorque clutches...I don't have any, but if you can measure one, I'll tell you if these will fit properly, or I might even make a few...they're cheap and easy if you have the right tools.