Trail Horse GTO RestoMod...

Hey...

FASTENAL was out of those screws I need to mail out those clutch retainers...

I ordered 25 more...supposed to arrive tomorrow...I'll mail them out as soon as they arrive.

For something different, let's post the new pics in reverse order...

Finished parts pics first, and if you want to see how they were made, continue down the posts to the beginning.

You were probably doin' it that way anyway...those drill press pics are boring as hell.

The shape of the velocity stack was dictated by the shape of the piece of scrap aluminum I made it from...

The piece was already turned down too far to get a smooth arcing funnel shape...

7" long header and 3" intake manifold made from 1" OD steel tubing...

The ID of the tubing is extremely close to 22mm, the size of the Mikuni VM22 carb.

The screws didn't arrive, but that's not surprising...it's been near-blizzard conditions here all day.

Before/after pics of those two engines...

I've been running them on the bench to adjust the carbs...

I do have the other stock carb/tank, I just decided to go with a Mikuni instead...much easier to tune than those metering holes in a stock Briggs carb.

Last edited:
FASTENAL still hasn't called to say my screws arrived, so I'll call them Monday and find out what's up...

I added a piece along the back of the engine mounting plate to match the front and stiffen the engine mount...

The hole is for the brake cable to pass underneath the plate...I was going to drill the frame tubes and run the cables inside,and machine an internal throttle and internal twist brake but this bike is intended to be more resto than mod.

I'll make some for the next bike...it's kinda cool to not see any cables or levers...

...and since it's -2 degrees outside, I shot the frame right on the bench.

I've been piddling around on the lathe while waiting for paint to dry...

I re-cut deeper grooves on the footpegs and put a one-minute polish on them...

My 1950's Craftsman buffer has a flannel wheel with red rouge, but I use the cotton wheel with green rouge and just put a really quick polish on most parts...

If you ride the bike, all the polishing work is gone quickly, so I don't spend much time polishing metal...

I also made a finned header tip from aluminum...fins are usually seen on parts that get hot, so I just turned one out quickly to see how it looked...I'll probably fab the rest of the header because I like the way the tip looks...

Reminds me of the barrel on a 1927 Thompson submachine gun...