Tri-rod?

I have a TRI-ROD coming. I am not familiar with the TRI-ROD's. Are they the same as the TRI-SPORT's? Or are they a completely different company. No engine on it and there is a sticker on the side that looks like someone put it on that says TR-351.

I will take more pics when it arrives. Randy

HAHA!! Hoooly cow man, You are the trike expert. We are clueless there.. lol.. Sure as hell LOOKS like a Tri Sport. You know how that type of thing usually goes.. One company "BUILDS" them, then everyone else buys them and throws THEIR sticker of approval on it... You must have a big garage huh? I noticed those trikes a re space gobbler.. Fun rides though.. Work GREAT for drunkin riding as there is no balancing involved.. :drinkup: if you're to drunk to walk... jump on the Trike.. HAHA!! Looks like a NIIiiice one though..

Randy : They were just another manufacture of trikes back in the day. The front end is like the Tri-Sport as you can see it is like the RTS series of Tri-Sports but your feet do not rest on pegs and turn with your front end. I have never seen one and don't know facts of their origin. Your sure digging out the corners of the barns and garages. Nothing wrong with that. LOL Steve :scooter:

I just started another thread on another one I can pick up. I am not sure if it is a Mud Bug or another Owosso Trike we have been talking about.

Unfortunately I have a 1 car garage and the wife gets it. I am reduced to using a tarp carport... lol
But My boss does have a horse farm I can store the ones I am going to keep when I'm done :smile: Randy

That's about how it works.. HAHA!! YEAH that bike looks JUST LIKE!! My Owosso.. Mine was gold but DAMN similar eveywhere I can see. Mine had like the engine plate was like a tunnel, with sort of a two diamond shaped extensions for like your non moving rigid swing arm area, The outer most ends on it near the tires. The jack shaft was two bearings that sandwich with clamps to the sheet metal tubing C channel type engine frame. Axles had four of the same..... Thats your main power area, then there is like a square tube type looking frame that welds in with a couple not so enormous gusset type things to the front where the rest of the bike is happening... I guess it's good with the fiberglass body too, but I thought looked like the break in half spot... But yeah that's what the Owosso looked like.. Like 3 round vent holes near the top on the sides of the body, open in the back, Two risers the each rear fender bolts down onto with a rubber gromet thing, like molded black seat that formed to the body. Golf Cart front tire, mini bike shocks..... Same damn bike I'm sure... from what I can see..

Might as well get them ALL.. then ya KNOW ya got something..:smile: Yeah they are pretty well of the same vintage, and crazy colors as any other fiberglass body of the period..... Go to the county fair and watch the kids driving those loud ass HONK HONK cars and airplanes ,that go around in a circle like a Merry-Go-Round..... Yours is the gold one.. HAHA!! Ya know that paint that looks an inch deep and has metal flakes that look like someone threw nickels into the batter and stirred well... :drool: Actually pretty sharp looking probably if it was nice.. Better than turd brown or Chrylser "Baby Shit Green" of the same era.. :doah:

Hey Steve if I get time Ill send you a Scan of a brochure for rup, if you look close youll see that a couple models actually use a Alsport seat cushion and head rest. not to silly if you think about it considering how close the two plants were to each other.

Ok just checked out a magazine article I have on them its listed as BGW industries Mansfield Ohio. I knew there were made in mansfield from growing up in the area and if you look around you can still find them running in the backyards. lol

Here is the TRI-ROD TR-351 That I just got. I will post the pics of the OWOSSO I picked up today in another thread.

If anyone has any info on this or the Owosso I picked up today,please let me know.Thanks Randy

Last edited:

is this a stock color?
something im lookin at buying but it sure is ugly color~
I'm not sure. If it is a Dunecycle Flat Tracker I had one.That was MetalFlake Gold. It is a little different than the one I had. Do you know what it is for sure?

The Owosso Trike I got today seems to be the same MetalFlake Gold under the red spray paint as the Dunecycle also. I haven't seen any trikes the color of the one you are looking at but maybe Steve D. has. Randy

james c

i only see what you see in the pics, its a girl selling it and she has no idea what it is, i think its a flattracker by the white wheels and glasswork,
it looks like a solid axel no shock bike. thanks for your input as i should have opened a new thread. (i just liked the color comment on the other page of this thread. ps, new motor and only 300.00 bucks, i felt like it should be a safe buy being that it runs and has air in the tires.

If the trike fits...... The one I had was way too small for me...I tried like hell but just couldn't fit. I would look for a differential... I wouldn't buy one without one or at least without planning on putting one in.

james c

a solid axel meaning no ujoints and shocks, it should have diff because it has the turning brakes as far as ive read about the dune cycle bikes they made
a no suspension differential rear end with turning brakes......i hope that is what it is. her brother is supposed to tell me about it before i go see it.

still ugly paint!