Trike project

I've wanted a trike for a long time & can't find any local so I decided to build one. Big thanks to Gumpit for sharing deminsions with me. I rolled it out of the shop today & took it for a spin. what a blast! I put a vegas carts 460 on it & it runs great. I made it low to the ground to be more stable with the axle above the frame. 20" tires on the back 15" on the front. 6000 rpm & this thing is flying low. I used manual disc brakes & plan to change that over to hydraulic. I used a Comet 40 series setup & it works great. tomorrow I will finish the seats & tinker around on it. I raked the front at 46* & it drives real good. very happy so far. just as much fun as I remember back in the 70s. I'll try & post some pics.

Attachments

That looks awesome...I bet it flies with that 460 on it!! Interesting how your "flipped" the rear engine mount area so that the axle is above the frame. I am modding a Montgomery Ward T-555 rolling frame that I bought off of CL that had a bent center tube beam. You got me thinking of flipping the back end to do the same thing in order to lower the CG. Very nice sir!!!

It was a pain to build it this way but I like it. Had to make the engine mount removable to get the axle out if need be. hope I never need to haha.

Excellent job. I need to definitely move the axel on top on my next one. Right now I have to shift my weight off the seat on the turns. I put my seat back gussets behind the bar so I could slide over. But that bar definitely needs support. I bent it back twice before going off jumps.lol

Last edited:
Thanks Gumpit, You helped me alot & it handles great. The 460 really wakes it up. I need to bring it up & have you flat track it. Lots of fun for sure.

Wow...what a great job wndwlkr..!

Beautiful trike, looks factory built...and I mean that in a good way...:thumbsup:

Randy, thanks for helping him with dimensions and your trike knowledge.

Thanks for all the compliments everybody. I really enjoyed building it & riding it, It's a blast. thinking about building a ski for the front & be ready for winter ! I'll post some pics since I have the seat upholstered.

So you used a 10 on the engine output shaft (I'm guessing) and what on the jack shaft input? And did you use a Northern Tool differential? Details, my good man, I need details of that awesome trike!!!

wjustice

A 40 series isn't like a 30. Driver on crank and driven on jackshaft. You use a belt that matches your center to center. 10-54 is typical of what alsport used on their trikes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Got it ready for the Minibike Throwdown at RiceORama this coming weekend. Hopefully the last race with this engine. Knobby's have a lot of traction on the Circle in front of my house but are really good on the track. It's a long track so as long as it holds together it should be good. You can see why I need to lower mine like yours. My 350+ pound center of gravity is too high so I have to really lean. Worst case I can put the golf cart tires on and have more fun spinning in the turns. But I like the height of the knobby for top end speed. I went with 11t/54t to get a little more speed out of it. I think with the big blocks you can gear them for speed and they still have the torque off the line. I also bought some stiffer driver springs for a higher engagement rpm so it will launch better off the line. I love my trike.
https://youtu.be/lrtzcm5r1nE

You need MORE horse power. I have seen Triple cylinder free air engines in Tri-Sports. And even one trike with fuel injection on a Kawasaki triple with huge expansion chambers. These monster engines were only good on long tracks and the tight turns killed their advantage. I built a trike with a single 1 inch frame and a live axle and the small go kart wheels. It was powered by a McCulloch 101 twin carb engine and used a slipper wet clutch there was a seat but no padding and the best part was the driver weighed 155 pounds and was tough and super strong Wayne Coppers. If he beat you to the first corner you didn't have a chance all went well until one night he went off road to pass a slower rider and hooked a small tree that was the end of that great winning streak. The engine went back on to his Tri-Sport RTS - MAC

It's awesome that you have all these places to ride, I'll have to build my own I rekon. I really like this trike low for sure, even with 20" tires I can spin it out with turf saver tires. I guess thats the fun part anyway. Thanks again for all your help. I really enjoy watching your videos looks like a blast.

If you where referring to me on HP you are right I need lots of horse power. won't be no trees where I build my track. That would be fun driving a trike with that much power. I'm thinking rotax.