trisport

Newbee here and wondering what I have here.2 tube frame but with drum brakes.came without motor or clutch or jackshaft but I have most of that figured out already as to what is going in it.any help would be great and so far this site looks great.

Last edited:
not sure on vin number yet.frame is getting blasted this week and then should be anble to see if it has a vin or not.any idea on year ?was thinking maybe early 73 because of the drum brakes.

wjustice

Newer style dual tube frame, SL body but ALL SL models came with axle mounted hydro discs. I think even the standard RTS models.had j/s hydro disc. I've never seen one with bands on the full size frame.

Well that is one strange outfitted Tri-Sport The two frame rails I have had one and I sold it originally and it came with a Kohler 440 engine . It had the jack shaft hydraulic Kelsey Hayes caliper. This rig with a way different motor mounting plate so it could of been a big Tecumseh single cylinder. Front fender is not normal in radius to the front wheel. It has the rear bumper that the RTS units had. But the band brakes just is a bad choice for such a big machine. The dual set of rear shocks was things we did when racing off road and I never saw them from the factory.
Steve :scooter:

wjustice

Since I had my paperwork handy (it usually is) I took a look through it. I cannot find any full size RTS models that didn't have some kind of hydro brakes. The dual tube frame is I believe the newer style. The.band brakes can bearly stop my TS290 and the turn bands are, well useless. It looks like some rods and brackets like someone was trying to make them work. Do yourself a favor and look onto something better. Year? Hard to say 74 or possibly 75 for the dual tube frame. 74 for a SL body and bumper.

band brakes are already being replaced with jackshaft hydro unit.motor is a 96 Polaris 340 with Polaris clutches front and back.everything but the exhaust is mocked up and seems like it should work fine.the front fender does look like it has been tweeked but I can work with that.thanks for all the info,there will be more questions to come I'm sure!:thumbsup:BTW the band brakes look they they came from the factory that way,not cobbled in.

clearance problems with dual discs due to the way the secondary sits and motor location.running a 1" jackshaft and thinking about going with a 530 motorcyle chain and sprocket set-up.

wjustice

Yup disc clearance is close. And the salsbury driven is probably smaller then what you are using. The j/s brake is tons better then the bands but axle mounted is better. I converted mine from j/s the axle. Check my pics I think there are some of the conversion. Any questions just ask, people here will try to help.

When I built the SL that I had I went to 10 inch wheels and used 10 inch axle disc and dual piston calipers. With the top speed and my physical weight I knew that I wanted more braking power. Bad thing about a jack shaft brake it is a big strain on the drive chain and if that goes it's not a fun ride.
Steve :scooter:

when I get the frame back from being blasted I will measure everything up again and see if there is any way to do the axle brakes but if not at least the jackshaft brake will work for the riding I will be doing.more pics to come later and thanks again for the help.Dana

wjustice

Cool thanks. I have 2 skis from a jd sled to use. The TS skis are wider and have a pocket that the axle fits in to stabilize the ski. I was wondering how to do that with the RTS front end. The bar running back is just what I need.

got the frame back from the sandblaster and got it in primer.here is the mock up of the motor,clutches,and brake.still lots to do.

Last edited:

wjustice

The stock jack/shaft brake was mounted to the rear plate that the.bumper mounts to. It may be easier to attach and better clearance there. Except....where are you placing your fuel tank? Stock RTS was at the end of the j/s and under the shock mount. The SL had a plastic tank behind the j/s under the cover.