TT500 Questions

I just purchased a 1968 tt500 in pretty good shape. I wanted to freshen it up a bit and had a few questions.

1) If i put a new Honda, Briggs or Tecumseh engine on it, will the re-sale value be hurt very much?

2) Has anyone dumped the jackshaft arrangement and modified it to accept a torque converter?

3) How much H.P. is too much for this model Rupp?

Oldsalt

If that Rupp is more or less all original and is very nearly complete for SURE don't mess with it. Get a Chinese Baja or a stripped roller and make it your project. That is what I think you should do. I'll bet it will be cheaper and, if you leave a nice original Rupp in the shed, you'll be a lot better off in the long run.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to restore it to new condition. Only thing it doesn't have is the chrome chain guard that is impossible to find. It has a fibreglass replica chain guard. Do you know if you can find a larger h.p. engine in the same HH50 style so it looks original but with a larger H.P. motor?

Last edited:

C9H13NO3

Thanks for the reply. I am going to restore it to new condition. Only thing it doesn't have is the chrome chain guard that is impossible to find. It has a fibreglass replica chain guard. Do you know if you can find a larger h.p. engine in the same HH50 style so it looks original but with a larger H.P. motor?
If it's in good shape and you change out the engine you will lose alot of the resale value. Stick with the original engine, it'll be plenty of [power.:thumbsup:

That looks like a H50. The HH engines are massive cast iron engines. A H60 or H70 is the same block size and look the same as the H50.

This is a hard to find race H50 that Tecumseh made for kart racing. It came stock with a billet rod, a tillotson carburetor, upgraded springs and valves.
There are also high lift cams available for this motor.

I keep the H50 on it, Look for a Dellorto Carburetor for it. There are a few of the Rupp guys out there with them on there H50s and it wakes them up, Also with the 2 speed clutch on that bike it should be quick all ready with the stock H50.

Here's a picture I have of a dual engine Rupp with Mikuni's on the engines. If you want more power this might be the way to go.

I just purchased a 1968 tt500 in pretty good shape. I wanted to freshen it up a bit and had a few questions.

1) If i put a new Honda, Briggs or Tecumseh engine on it, will the re-sale value be hurt very much?

2) Has anyone dumped the jackshaft arrangement and modified it to accept a torque converter?

3) How much H.P. is too much for this model Rupp?
if your looking to make a race bike or something fast, dont change this bike, its too rare to find them all original like this one. If you wanna go fast find a roller and get a big engine, leave it all original.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll keep the stock motor and do the delorto carb. I think the clutch is my problem. I tore the bike completely apart and noticed a new high speed clutch was installed recently. I think it engages to early at the low end of the engine power band. I'll need to find more info on the clutches. Are the Rupp manuals on eBay any good?

I also have a roller that I might either sell or do some experimenting with.
I'll post pics of my tt500 restoration if anyone is interested.

Has anyone come up with a good idea to prevent "axle creep" that occurs on the right chain driven side? I also have a later model bike and you can see where this was a problem and Rupp did a re-design to prevent the axle from moving and the chain loosening.

I thought I might tig weld a nut into the end tube then put a bolt in it with a lock nut so the axle is prevented from moving forward.

Any thoughts....

Yeah... EVERYBODY is right about just LEEEEEAVE the bike alone... Thats about the most high dollar rupp ever built.. Every piece of the thing is worth a FORTUNE.. and if ya go hot rodding that original H50 and blow it up, you'll REALLY be screwed.. Just put that bike on a shelf in the living room and build another one to beat the crap out of..

The axles are suposed to have the out of round washers that wedge against the swing arm to keep the axle in place

The axles are suposed to have the out of round washers that wedge against the swing arm to keep the axle in place[/QUOTE]

This year didn't have the eccentric washer....later years did. I have one of each.

Can't add one because of a different design. I'll have to come with something else. Note the photo in one of the previous posts. If you expand the photo you'll see the difference.

Can't add one because of a different design. I'll have to come with something else. Note the photo in one of the previous posts. If you expand the photo you'll see the difference.
Ohhhhhh yeah I see the problem...You could rig some..:thumbsup: Just cut them to clear the nut on the narrower side of the washer..