Turbocharging a mini bike

What would it take to run a turbocharger? Has anyone done it on here? All I know is it would be neat, but most likely be a headache. I know that you need oil and someway to get it to the turbo but what else?

not trying to be mean, but oh my there is way to much to it to start typing, really, I would suggest you do a lot of reading and searching and reading some more and get an understanding of the various types of systems and how they work.

Ive seen it done on a 5.5 Honda engine. Dude had a shopping kart gokart.
No idea how to find it again... lol

its all about the size of the spool, they make tiny turbos now a days.
So there's enough exhaust pulse with a single-cylinder? I know a couple guys who tried it before, that is what they said. A multi-cyl engine has more exhaust pulses to properly spool the turbo. Making the turbo small enough to work with only 1 exhaust pulse, to me means the turbo is too small to really be worth it.
IMHO

^^^ anything that creates compression works. it does indeed make more power, but holy crap thats a lot of work and money for very little. It is mainly they look wicked and its all about being different.
I turbo'd my 04 sporty in '05, it was indeed a 3rd gear rolling drag bike type burnout tire melting beast on 8#, and it was 2 cyl of course. singles work, just smaller scale.
turboclose.jpg

What would it take to run a turbocharger? Has anyone done it on here? All I know is it would be neat, but most likely be a headache. I know that you need oil and someway to get it to the turbo but what else?
That's it, plus some exhaust fabrication if you're doing a blow through. Not very efficient without fuel, ignition and boost control, but vastly more complicated. This is why a lot of people are under the impression they don't work on single bangers. They do, and there are plenty of examples.

Look up some of the tractor pull lawnmowers with a turbo and blower running nitro. :)

another big pita is turbos are either oil or oil/coolant cooled. so now you need an oil pump of sorts to keep the bearings lubricated. then the whole tuning set up can be rough

Txpowdercoater, nice sporty well done!

And I think we are saying the same thing lol
yes we is somewhat, even though the cylinder pulse is small and you have to use a smaller turbo, its all relative...small turbo on small motor makes a great improvement if done right. Lots of coin and time to get right, but boost is crazy fun. the motor needs to be built to handle the extra stress and greater cyl pressure. I built a boosted mini using the smog pump off of a ford truck, hauled ass for a bit, my tuning was at fault , but otherwise, it kicked major butt. and thanks

Last edited:

cxbra

The main problem with turbo'ing a small engine is, how much boost can that engine take before it blows? If the engine can only take 25hp before blowing up, you might as well stick to an all out motor normally-asperated build. It will perform better, look better and sound cooool. If you did turbo an engine, turbo something big enough to make some REAL hp and that has the capability to handle more abuse.. I'd say a GX390 with billet rod, flywheel, blow-thru carb would work well for turbocharging. It would have more displacement to spool the turbo as well as the ability to get you possibly in the 30hp range without hurting the engine too much. Turbo a gx200 and im sure its going to be under a lot of stress in the 20hp range. Im speaking COMPLETELY off theory though.

As proven above it can be done... The main problem in my opinion will be getting the tune right. I have always aspired to try something like this, will be making a build log when I get everything together (hopefully some time later this year).

The build detailed below was my main inspiration.
http://www.turbokart.com/turbo_exciter.htm

Last edited: