Vintage Class: vwfan79's Ruttman Spyder

vwfan79

You still have another month to get the Briggs right. Don't quit yet!

Looks really nice!
I was thinking the same thing today, I didn't change the rings cause it didn't smoke or anything before I tore it apart. I was thinking honing the cylinder a new set of rings, trying a different tank and making a new breather cover.

Good plan! Sounds like the rings didn't seat the second time around.

Just a quick hone to roughen up the bore a bit. New rings and she will be like new.

:thumbsup:

vwfan79

Thanks for all the support guys, the frustration was causing bad thinking but I've come to my senses. I ordered new rings, diaphragm and aluminum valve cover, along with some brakes for another bike. Gonna hone the cylinder file fit rings (which I should have done in the first place), try different tank and new diaphragm, new valve cover with breather line to a filter and just check through everything else to make sure she is good to go. Got a month should be plenty of time.

vwfan79

Still waiting on my OldMiniBikes order to show but I have a slight change of plans, I am also building a drag bike and with the head work I'm having done and the new cam I'm going with I need to use a bigger carb so that means I have an extra 22mm Mikuni. So the new plan is to use the Mikuni on the briggs so I now I need to find a tank and get it mounted the frame. Also going to put a heavier spring in the clutch for a higher stall to help with the low end.

vwfan79

Spent most of the day out in the shop working on the briggs, decided to use a different block due to over porting on the exhaust side. So I honed the new block, cleaned up the rough edges of the ports, it already had the eyebrows shaved, sand blasted, cleaned and painted the block. I got everything put back together and mounted on the bike, tomorrow I'm going to pickup my intake and carb and get that mounted and tuned. We are then going to the track to test it out and see how she runs now. I'll try to get a video at the track.

vwfan79

Oh no, I just got frustrated for a minute but I'm back on track now. Motor should be good to go after I get the new carb mounted tomorrow.

Good to hear you got things figured out Nick, hopefully it all works out for you with the Mikuni. :thumbsup: What did you end up using for a gas tank? and where did you mount it?

vwfan79

I am just using a Tecumseh tank right now til I can find a nice round one. I used bar clamps to hang it from the top bar just in front of the seat. I post some pictures tomorrow

vwfan79

Here's the new carb setup, I gotta clean up the cables but I'm much happier with it. Gonna put a pump on it and try to find a nice round tank.