Vintage open Arco? unknown

red baron

IMG_0682.JPG My kick stand stop wasn't working so I welded a larger stop onto the stand. It still kept going past the stop so after a closer look I saw the bolt had excessive slop so I drilled it out to a 5/16" bolt. All better now. My wheels are held up in powder coat still, their compressor was pumping oil into the air tank and all their work fish eyed and I got pushed back a week. After I weld the new axle brackets on I can't go much further on my frame. I need my wheels so I can locate and weld on the do hicky for my drum brake. You can't stop without a do hicky you know!

Last edited:

red baron

I got some work done on the frame today and welded in the new axle tabs. I made a couple of passes as I want to smooth and bled the new pieces into the frame. I actually plan to go through and build and smooth all of the visible welds. I've never powder coated anything before so I don't know how forgiving it is to imperfections so I'm going to treat it like paint prep. I don't fancy myself as a welder so the welds are ugly but strong. It looks like I'll have a few more sessions before it's ready for powder. IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0694.JPG

Nice job and bringing that frame back to life! I saved the rear tabs on my Arco with lots of weld fill--your solution is far better! Wood jigs are great for projects like these, as long as the wood is square and strong it'll work fine.

red baron

Where are you getting your powder coating done ? :scooter:
Cobra powder coating on stage coach lane in Lyman.He does really nice work and is fairly priced. My friend has had some work done by him and it looked great so I decided to try powder instead of paint.
Thank you gentlemen for the encouraging words.

Last edited:

red baron

IMG_0716.JPG I got my wheels back and my luck being the way it is the metal kept out gassing on 2 of the wheel halves causing a couple of small blisters. Another had a little bit of corrosion so I thought and when sand blasted it revealed a crater. I drilled and tapped that one and used it for the sprocket side, for the other 2 I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Now I have to make a lug for the drum brake and I'm waiting on a pile of parts.

red baron

I got a bunch of parts in including my tubes so I was able to mount the front wheel and I got all my wheel bushings cut. I still need to make a lug for that brake. I had to move the motor over 1/2" for sprocket alignment. I have to work on the motor plate some to close up the old holes and clean up the new. I got the pipe on so I now need a silencer. I bought a seat from eBay but I wasn't happy with it so I sent it back for a redo. I planned on mounting my cylindrical tank on top of the motor but filling it is going to be a hassle. My biggest challenge is going to be making that engine less of an eye sore. That's it for now. I'll never catch up to OND!