Vintage Open MSPTREX Zebra

MSPTREX

Lots going on with the build right now and powdercoating has hit a few bumps along the way. Motor is pretty much ready to start besides getting a fuel shut off put on, finding a small fuel filter to put in my limited space I have, and getting powder on engine covers(again).

I totally spaced off getting pictures of frame after all the cutting and welding it needed. After I got frame blasted I found a bunch of little stress cracks all over the frame. Got them all grinded down and welded up. Unfortunetly something contamimated the frame, brake lever, and engine covers. Opened up the oven to find multiple spots where powder did not stick on the metal. My guy is extremely frustrated and says he is going to make it right.

Now the task of stripping a couple layers of powdercoat since the blue candy powder requires a silver basecoat first. Really hoping he has time to get it fixed and successfully powdercoated in the next couple weeks so I do not have to rush to get done by the deadline.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Small update. Really hoping this thing gets done in time for the deadline. I was able to get frame and other small parts stripped and ready for the 2nd attempt at getting it coated. But my powder guy has been really sick the last couple weeks. I can get bike assembled in a couple days so hopefully he gets better and gets it finished soon.

MSPTREX

We have some color on most everything now. My powder guy hates this color. He had a hard time getting it to stick. Tried all sorts of things. But it is good enough for who it is for. (Me haha) Going to start assembling tonight. Maybe have it close to finished by the weekend. More updates soon.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Finished the motor up last night and got it ready to bolt to the frame. The pull start will be done eventually, powder coat guy is having a hard time getting this blue powder to stick to it. I have a starter box for my drag bike I can use to start it depending on when he finishes the pull start. This motor is going to be super rowdy on this tiny bike haha

Attachments

MSPTREX

Thanks, happy with how it has turned out so far. Ya we are clueless what is up with this powder. He has coated 4 other bikes for me in different colors with no problems. Emailed the company who he bought the powder from and they just suggested to apply it while material is hot. That does work but is alot harder to get an even finish. He assures me he will get it done soon and wants to make all the hassle right on the next bike I bring him. Really nice genuine guy which is hard to come by these days.

MSPTREX

Alot has happened since my last post. Not sure where to start, some good, some bad. But I did get my beaitiful seat from Karen. She out did herself again with this seat. Fits the bike perfect and the quality is as awesome as always! Couldn't of asked for a better seat!

Attachments

MSPTREX

As I said before some good news and bad news on the progress. Good news is motor runs and sounds wicked. Hit it with my starter box the other night after adding fluids and as soon as fuel pump filled the line and carb bowl she fired right off. I think its going to have plenty of power to move this little bike.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Now for the bad news. Looks like I wont be using the raised edge tri-star mag wheels I had cambo61 burnish for me. I bought a sprocket for those wheels from an business I will not mention and it is complete junk. Chain will not stay on the sprocket, as soon as you try to spin the wheel by hand or pushing on ground the chain binds and tries to fall off.

This is not my first rodeo and was really confusing me what was going on. I tried a bunch of things to make the sprocket work. Swapped wheel halves around, tried different wheels, tried with wheel spacers , without wheel spacers, checked axle tab mounting for straightness, checked axles for straightness, and nothing mattered.

Another issue running these wheel and tires is my brake to tire distance was too far letting brake hit ground as it just finally touching the tire. Not only not safe but wouldnt work well enough to stop me in a timely fashion. Now what do I do?

MSPTREX

Well a couple weeks back a buddy sold me a set of 6" new school tri stars. One already had a brand new 13" slick tire on it and azusa sprocket. I was happy since I could use this different sprocket on my old tri stars, but I was wrong. The hub part is too big to fit inside of the 5" old tri star mag because of its different style inner lip.

This forces me to use the whole wheel and tire set up I bought from my buddy, cut new wheel spacers, and hope it all works out with less then 2 weeks left to finish.

Well the 6" wheel and tire fits but barely. Lets hope this works out and fixes my chain issues. Brake to tire clearance is crazy small but tire still spins. Chain to frame clearance is tight as well but should be fine if chain doesn't get loose and try to come off.

Attachments

MSPTREX

After all that nonsense I cut wheel spacers last night, bolted on a temporary pull start I had laying around, hooked up temporary kill switch just in case, and tightened chain with new wheel and sprocket.

Success! I test rode the bike this morning! No more chain issues! Now just need to finish some small things before the weekend so I can get my video submitted before end of month and get finished pictures taken.

So before my next update I will have new wheel spacers powder coated, new bar mounted kill switch mounted, install blue pull start I've been waiting for, and will have a matching new school 5" tri star to match the now 6" rear new school tri star.

Attachments

Good job. I know how it was a struggle for you with that sprocket and chain. A few years back there was a bad batch of lil indian sprockets around. Those sprockets would not except the chain. Sounds like the same problem. The sprocket was just not cut correctly.

MSPTREX

Ya I believe it is just a bad batch of sprockets, just wish I would of known sooner. Oh well I will use these old tri star mags on one of my other project bikes. Thanks for the help and seat Karen!